Jay Leno's Garage

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I loved my january 62 build date e-type roadster. But at 6'5" I couldn't fit in it. I think thats a reason I gravitated to the e9.
that's like the austin healey 3000 ... i used to drive my brother's healey but at 6'-3" and tall from the waist up, i looked over the top of the windshield ... looked like a happy motorcyclist ... with bugs in my teeth.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello Dan,
I just had a chance to watch the segment from start to finish. What a wonderful interview and drive! The car looks amazing. Congratulations!!!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I loved my january 62 build date e-type roadster. But at 6'5" I couldn't fit in it. I think thats a reason I gravitated to the e9.
You did well to drive a 62 E Type at all, Steve! I am at least a couple of inches shorter than you and really E Types are just too small for me to drive any meaningful distance. Having said that, I am currently trying to convince myself that I fit in a Lamborghini Miura. I was driving a customer's Miura this morning and have a terrible hankering for one of my own. Truth be told, the Lightweight E is like a limo compared to the Miura:D

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
You did well to drive a 62 E Type at all, Steve! I am at least a couple of inches shorter than you and really E Types are just too small for me to drive any meaningful distance. Having said that, I am currently trying to convince myself that I fit in a Lamborghini Miura. I was driving a customer's Miura this morning and have a terrible hankering for one of my own. Truth be told, the Lightweight E is like a limo compared to the Miura:D
Really Dan, if you have the chance to get that Miura, do it! I had a chance to pick one up in 1994, at an embarrassingly realistic (in today's dollars) price. Did I do it, well no. But you should. But perhaps peel back that carpet for a close up look, before you actually complete the transaction! :p Just sayin' Mike

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really Dan, if you have the chance to get that Miura, do it! I had a chance to pick one up in 1994, at an embarrassingly realistic (in today's dollars) price. Did I do it, well no. But you should. But perhaps peel back that carpet for a close up look, before you actually complete the transaction! :p Just sayin' Mike
They are certainly fabulous cars, Mike. Incredible to think the Miura was unveiled at the Geneva Show in 1965, just two years after Ferruccio Lamborghini decided he was going to start building cars. I have two Miuras and three Lamborghini 350GTs in the schedule at the moment, and I absolutely love them.

This evening I collected the legendary Lamborghini test driver Valentino Balboni from Austin airport. He is spending a couple of days with my crew and some of my customers, going over the cars with the owners and sharing his vast marque experience with them. Not sure it gets any better than this, for me.

Valentino has a restoration shop back home in Italy which he says he shares with three friends, all of whom joined Lamborghini together in 1968! He says nobody is in charge, just four friends building cars they are passionate about, just as they did before they retired from the Lamborghini factory. How cool is that?

Cheers!
Dan

Aussiecsi

Reaction score
im-not-saying-im-jealous-meme.jpg

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
They are certainly fabulous cars, Mike. Incredible to think the Miura was unveiled at the Geneva Show in 1965, just two years after Ferruccio Lamborghini decided he was going to start building cars. I have two Miuras and three Lamborghini 350GTs in the schedule at the moment, and I absolutely love them.

This evening I collected the legendary Lamborghini test driver Valentino Balboni from Austin airport. He is spending a couple of days with my crew and some of my customers, going over the cars with the owners and sharing his vast marque experience with them. Not sure it gets any better than this, for me.

Valentino has a restoration shop back home in Italy which he says he shares with three friends, all of whom joined Lamborghini together in 1968! He says nobody is in charge, just four friends building cars they are passionate about, just as they did before they retired from the Lamborghini factory. How cool is that?

Cheers!
Dan
Gasp!

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Oh my.

If there were ever a need for a wifi camera...
We did have a film crew there filming Valentino talking to the customers about their cars. It was awesome to watch. Valentino told us how he and his friends back at his restoration shop in Italy frequently find their own initials on various parts of the cars they are working on, written when they were first building the cars almost half a century ago. It was truly amazing to listen to his stories.

I can honestly say that I have never spoken to another human being who is more passionate about a marque than Valentino Balboni is about Lamborghini. Lamborghini has been his entire life, and he had tears in his eyes describing the emotions and passion he felt building and driving the cars. He is also a prince of a gentleman. What a day!

Last edited:

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just watched the whole episode... wow. Such a beautiful car and that exhaust note... nothing like it!!! Awesome.

Kudos to you and your team of mechanics, Dan. I need to get myself down there, sooner than later.

Ed Z

PS... Miura; sexiest Lamborghini ever.

Dan Mooney

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just watched the whole episode... wow. Such a beautiful car and that exhaust note... nothing like it!!! Awesome.

Kudos to you and your team of mechanics, Dan. I need to get myself down there, sooner than later.

Ed Z

PS... Miura; sexiest Lamborghini ever.
Thank you, Ed. That is very kind of you.

We took the 'Leno' Lightweight, the Miura and a 56 Gullwing that we look after out to COTA this morning to support the Drive and Give charity event. It shared pit lane with some very special machinery, including a LaFerrari, a McLaren Senna and lots of other sensational modern cars. I think our classics more than held their own :)

PS. I got your message about the car cover and will ask if they have a blueprint for your early coupe.

31519dm3.jpg

31519dm4.jpg

31519dm1.jpg

31519dm2.jpg

TodB

Reaction score
Pic #3 is pretty fantastic! You should have added your CSL to round out the group.

We need to coerce you to bring a car to Amelia Island next year.

zinz

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We took the 'Leno' Lightweight, the Miura and a 56 Gullwing that we look after out to COTA this morning to support the Drive and Give charity event.

I can't even imagine how nerve-wracking it must be to drive those cars in horrible South Austin traffic... painful.

The Miura...wow. Next to the Gulf livery GT... next to a La Ferrari.... then all your cars...my head is swimming.

Good stuff, Dan. You are a lucky man, indeed.

Ed Z