Kidney grills, 5 vs 4 slats

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
There is only one photo and I see chrome wipers and no grilles.

There are two photos. You need to cycle through the album. Not all thumbnails are present. But unless there is a third 3.0CS they probably are chrome. Hard to tell with those breasts in the way.

See below:
motor_show_1974_22_0.jpg

mpgandco

Reaction score
Doesn't even fit the opening correctly.Look at the gaps on the top Corners.Like I said before ,no Coupes came from the Factory with 4 Slat Grills.These 4 Slat Grills you see are replacement parts bought well after production ceased on the E9 or E3 Grills.

mpgandco

Reaction score
Picture is of my ORIGINAL Grill that was on my car in 1980 with 40K Miles on it. All Original Paint on the car at the time, so the Grill Had not been replaced.
Coupe Grill.JPG

Next picture is of my new Grill that was purchased in the early 90's.Sorry for all the bugs,I did a great run down HI Way One to Big Sur this morning.Had the whole road to myself.Taking the NSX down tomorrow morning.
Coupe grill 2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
There are two photos. You need to cycle through the album. Not all thumbnails are present. But unless there is a third 3.0CS they probably are chrome. Hard to tell with those breasts in the way.

See below:
OK, I'm seeing two things and neither of them have anything to do with grills. Should we move this to Off-topic??

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos, the large bumpers were never this rounded, I think was doctored on an older photo. And a Blue CA plate starting with F is 72/73. And it has polished wipers.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, the large bumpers were never this rounded, I think was doctored on an older photo. And a Blue CA plate starting with F is 72/73. And it has polished wipers.

I don't think it is doctored. I think the lighting and angle of the photo makes the bumper look rounded. But given that this is a brochure photo, your comment about the plate may indicate that he got this car way early.

DD0392.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Keshav

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
That’s right, I meant that the E3’s got the 4 slat grill after face lift

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Markos, Look at the rear bumper, it has chrome wrapping around the side of the fender. They added bulky rubber under it, photoshop fail. (and polished wipers)

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Markos, Look at the rear bumper, it has chrome wrapping around the side of the fender. They added bulky rubber under it, photoshop fail. (and polished wipers)

Got it. So BMW doctored the photo. Not the first time. They removed the alpina logo on the Gen1 CSL wheel, and blacked out the button on the map light.