Kintsugi anyone?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking to repair two plates with the Japanese technique and philosophy of Kintsugi. Does anyone have experience or a place that practices it?

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
ok, i bite, photos, please ....

that is curiosity....kintsugi ???

:)
These are the plates I broke by putting them in checked-in luggage. Another 10 survived intact. I was about to do the crazy glue when my artist friend said kintsugi is the way to go. The object becomes even more valuable than before broken. What if we could apply kintsugi to E9a, which in a sense Don, Paul Cain, and yourself are doing...

Attachments

• kintsugi - 1.jpeg
    kintsugi - 1.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 86

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
These are the plates I broke by putting them in checked-in luggage. Another 10 survived intact. I was about to do the crazy glue when my artist friend said kintsugi is the way to go. The object becomes even more valuable than before broken. What if we could apply kintsugi to E9a, which in a sense Don, Paul Cain, and yourself are doing...

maybe, but in that case I would go for 2component epoxy glue, such as araldit, or ceys…I always use them with pottery
you must be very careful, and remove excess when is half cured, as it might be first transparent and then it gets yellow

found an American brand gorilla to have the most transparent one

pottery is simple to glue and very rewarding as result

not kinsugi but good enough

i will not use superglue

p.s. Thanks for the kinsugi tip I will consider in my toolbox of solutions when material is missing, i.e. using aluminium or bronze powder

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Kintsugi work is back, I love it. Definitely nicer than before...
I can PM the name of the artist that did the work if interested.

Attachments

• kintsugi2 - 1.jpeg
    kintsugi2 - 1.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 48

cicada

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have an architect friend who did that with some floor tiles in his studio. It's a lot more work than it seems! One has to basically grind down one or both sides of the fracture to make room for the seam.
074a663353.jpg