Kit to turn a Getrag 265/5 into a 6-speed - Netherlands

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The way I understand Getrag 265/5s from the 1980s 5 Series is final drive is less than 1:1 & closer to 1:.80. With the original 4-Speed 4th was 1:1.
The same way the 245/5 ratio from the 320is is for the 2002s.
In Athena 3000 rpm is 85 mph vs 4000 rpm with the 4-speed with the taller European differential
In Vern 3000 rpm is 70 mph vs 4200 rpm with the 4-Speed with the stock 2002Tii differential

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
My son had an E36 M3 at the same time I had an E46 M3 and I preferred his 5spd over my 6spd. In the M3 it seemed unnecessary and just made shifting fast more prone to missing a shift. Maybe just me.

Dan

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Looks like this is built for vintage racing.

Only 400 Nm? No forced induction, then. Also, yes, straight-cut could be extremely loud. There also does not appear to be any provision for a speedo drive. The shifter surround looks nice, though, and is fully stabilized. Since it's a H-pattern, I wonder if that could be applied to the existing box? The parts they laid out doesn't seem to include a rear casing, so it might be compatible.

I bet many of us with a 265 would welcome the opportunity to jump to a 6 speed to increase the gear spread (to improve off the line performance) and bump the final OD ratio a touch. (perhaps 0.6/0.7) With the available ratios on their website, that's not what this box is for. It would also be really nice to have parts availability to rebuild the box again, most people I talk with won't touch it.

So, switch to helical mesh, add or keep a speedo drive, change up the ratios, and I'll be on board. (basically make it a road box)

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Is the gear sound the high pitch we hear? If that is the case I like it.
That's my assumption. A loud whine. Some pretty good driving too! Love the spot where he notes that you need to brake BEFORE the bump.. Presumably after the bump you are somewhat airborne and thus have no brakes!! All at 150-250 KPH..Yikes!!

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Straight-cut gears are part of why superchargers sound the way they do: (at least usually, I think some of the newer centri-style ones have planetary helical boxes)
1705975031204.png

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Great topic, I just learned the reverse is straight-cut gears in all transmissions, now I understand the reverse whine sound!
But the best part is that straight cut gear transmissions can be shifted without a clutch. I could have used my old pedals when I converted from automatic. I want them. As you get older you stop hearing high frequencies, so who cares about the whine?
Better than tinnitus.

LarE9

Site Donor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity I got a quote from Drenth. It's about 12K euros for the gear kit only, for another 2250 euro they can provide a refurbished 265 case. Add in another 600+ euro for shipping and handling to the states. Seems like a good company and Ruud Drenth comes across as a nice guy with good customer service skills.
So yeah those things are for more serious racers or people with the money. I am not a racer, but if I had the money I would love to have this just for the sound of straight cut gears!