La Jolla visit

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Indeed I did, Chris. It was such a treat to spend the afternoon with you. And the ride in your coupe made my trip. I still have a smile from ear to ear from our drive. Thank you!

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yeah, Carl and I took it around the block. ;)
No, we walked over to it, Carl opened the hood, and mentioned that he has (4) silver coupes in right now. The engine is in, and it looks good!
Yea, he's been crazy busy for a long time now. The coupe business is very brisk for those who do quality work.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hey Stephen, we didn't hear about how your meeting with Carl went... Any cool new project you can discuss? We'll put the cone of silence on if we need to.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
No need for the cone of silence, but I would like to see that - ha ha.

My visit was more about the fact that I was in the area, so I could. While there I purchased a copy of the full (2 volume) parts books that Carl scanned from the most comprehensive iteration of its publish. I am excited to be getting this as a resource. And while there, in addition to chatting about your car I snapped several pics of his place in general. I'll be posting those when I get settled back in Wisconsin for, as someone asked, the less fortunate coupe owners whom haven't had the opportunity to make the pilgrimage to LJI. I asked Carl for his permission first. He shrugged and said, "yeah, go ahead."

This is absolutely NOT a knock on Carl's shop, but I find it interesting (maybe even fascinating) how different it is to, say, Dan Mooney's shop. Two places doing great work in their own right - but the environments couldn't be much further apart. :D Again, this is written with the utmost respect for both shops/people. For the record, my garage looks an awful lot like LJI, just colder and all indoors.

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yea, this is PRIMO real estate near the beach and the business has grown tremendously over the years while the available space has not. A challenging combination. Carl somehow always manages to deliver, however.

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Say, a couple of forum members asked me to take some photos of Carl's shop for anyone who hasn't had the chance to visit in person. I actually think my photos from my last trip were better, but here is are some captures of a "walking tour" of La Jolla Independent.

Approaching from the south on La Jolla Independent Blvd.
20190313-LJI-01.jpg

Zoom in of the entry portal - I already feel welcomed.
20190313-LJI-02.jpg

Backed out a bit - you can start to sense the expanse of classic bmw metal scattered about this historic site.
20190313-LJI-03.jpg

Another zoom in of the entry portal, with mural above.
20190313-LJI-04.jpg

Another wide view from a bit further north.
20190313-LJI-05.jpg

You can see the "shop bays" along the back/east of the property, and more vintage cars everywhere you look.
20190313-LJI-06.jpg

Here's where the work happens.
20190313-LJI-07.jpg

A glimpse into the showroom. Carl tells me these cars are driven regularly. I am almost certain they are in different positions than when I was there just several weeks ago.
20190313-LJI-08.jpg

Another view of the "showroom".
20190313-LJI-09.jpg

On my way out. Carl said the silver car with stripes is for sale...
20190313-LJI-10.jpg

As I started to walk back to the rental car, a few more peeks into the showroom.
20190313-LJI-11.jpg

It is almost obscene how these cars are just everywhere you look!!!
20190313-LJI-12.jpg

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics, Stephen! It looks so relaxed there, I wish the climate over here would allow to have a work area like that, just open the doors and grab a wrench.