LAN speaker invasion into the dash impossible hole

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Interesting problem!! And a very clever solution? A U-turn socket!...

Yes, blocking the holes should produce more and better sound. You might try some absorbent material, but simply adhering a thin piece of wood (that doesn't interfere with the grille) over the holes will work better. Use an adhesive that can be pried loose later if you need to go back in. I'd patch that gap at the bottom as well. You might also consider paintng the wood black, so it doesn't show through the grille.

Stereo wasn't exactly a super common thing in cars back then. I am an electrical engineer with a serious audio hobby. I have been building speakers ever since the late 60's (Yikes, how did I get that old?!). I have been pondering how to get good sound in my E9 without going too far off the original setup.

I see you are in Bilbao. Always wanted to go there. In October, we will be traveling from California to Barcelona and along the coast to Lisbon (my closest friend moved there from California last summer). I have been many places in Europe, but never to Espania. I live about 60 km north of San Francisco, in the California wine country.

thank you
I will try that

interesting captive nuts

anyway that would have not made any difference to the cutouts

because I had to use the cutouts to manouver the support inside the dash oval hole

good idea to travel the Mediterranean coast from Barcelona, so to speak clock wise, that is 1000 times more beautiful than our side
well done

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
anyway that would have not made any difference to the cutouts

because I had to use the cutouts to manouver the support inside the dash oval hole
And it is in now, so just put some small pieces of wood over the holes.

ScottAndrews

Reaction score
Another option is to front-mount the speaker to the baffle. That will save space behind. install six t-nuts to the baffle (4 to hold the baffle to the car, and 2 to hold the speaker. Cut the speaker hole so the rim of the speaker sits on the front of the baffle, Then you install the baffle without the speaker, and install the speaker last, from the front side.

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
believe me that this solution was the only one i found to place the speaker and keep the grille without any modification

there were a lot of limitations in the spot

only positive addition might be those odd nuts that will help in the assembly a lot