Lateral play in pedals

pmansson

Reaction score
I have one E9 with noticeable sideways play in the clutch and brake pedal.
I have replaced the vinyl washers around the clutch pedal but it made no difference. In fact it´s now worse. Perhaps I ought to tighten the bolt and nut further?? (The old vinyl washers were perfectly OK). With the rest of the car being very tight, this is now annoying. I installed the Coco Mats today, on top of the existing carpets. Trying to determine whether I can press the clutch pedal all the way down, or if the 2 carpets steal too much space.

Malc

Reaction score
When you say sideways do you mean from side to side or do they "twist" ie rock slighty in an arc?

It maybe that the tube is worn You could get some bushes made to fit, bronze or similar or fit a slightly larger diameter bolt.
Nobody bothers to lubricate them so after 30 odd years of use some wear is expected I'm afraid
Malc

pmansson

Reaction score
Side to side.
Ideally I would want to tighten the sideways positioned, long bolt, but it is already at some sort of stop, limited by metal bushes in one way or other.
I´ll show it to my mechanic next week. He is removing the stock power steering kit, and installing the refurbished CSL box. I will share with you all by how much the lower steering column will have to be lenghtened.
He will also remove the propshaft where we have a vibration problem at 60-90 Km/h. I will dust off this old topic of mine and share the results and issues that we have had.