Leaky Steering Gearbox

Tyler

Reaction score
I have a leak from the front cover of my manual steering gearbox. I can easily remove the front cover to install a new seal without pulling the brake booster, but how do I then refill it with oil?

jhjacobs

Reaction score
I don't think these are supposed to be oil filled; that may be why it is leaking.... It's been >30 years since I opened a gear box to replace a lower bushing but if memory serves (dangerous assumption), they are greased. I am pretty sure I packed the pushing and gear teeth with white lithium grease. I can't remember what I did with the recirculating ball system. This could have been on a Chrysler or something other than a coupe so don't take my word.

Please flame me if I am wrong. :shock:

Gerrit

Reaction score
440cc of SAE90 gearbox oil throught the refill hole where the red plastic plug is (on top).

tochi

Reaction score
Gearbox grease?

I am aware that the gearbox is designed for heavyweight oil. While I do not feel super comfortable suggesting this, I am aware that a few folks have been known to fill their steering gear boxes with grease under the assumption that it has less tendency to leak, yet still provides some lubrication.

Whether grease is a suitable substitute, I do not know. I do not believe ZF or das BMV factory makes such a recommendation. However, its probably better than a dry gearbox! :wink:

Tyler

Reaction score
I opened up the front cover of the leaky box, and found not a seal, but a set of 4-5 very thin metal shims. Can anyone tell me the BMW recommended way to reseal the box after all has been thorougly cleaned and de-greased? I assume I need to re-use the shims...

Perhaps a heavier gearbox oil is the way to go, but grease seems a bit extreme.

Thanks.