LED Tail Lights "survey"

Krzysztof

Site Donor
Reaction score
As I'm "somehow" with automotive industry I would like to mention or remind that the car's lamps have been approved to be used on public roads together with the light source.

Some could noticed that many lamps has even type of bulb stamped on the lens.

Of course "Made in China" retrofits are common in use with no technical issues.

The general rule is as "it is good as long it is good". I mean, as long the car is not a part of accident or police or MOT/TUV station will not check it.

The border case in Europe can lead into full financial responsibility in case insurance company or other "part" will point out non-compliance of the car and potential cause of the any kind of damage.

I know many can tell I'm wrong and bright LED lamps are faster, brighter etc (and thus safer than bulbs) , but it is good to mention that mounting not-certified safety-related components (where taillights for sure are a part of) is asking for troubles in a worst case scenario.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i received a text from a friend on the successful use of LED bulbs in vintage BMW that are very bright and are well designed to use reflectors well. they have a ton of diodes and facing in every direction. they are only about 15 bucks a pair. this company has the 1156 (single filament) and 1157 (double filament). they both come in red, amber and white - as previously mentioned, you need red lights for brake lights with a red lens.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i received a text from a friend on the successful use of LED bulbs in vintage BMW that are very bright and are well designed to use reflectors well. they have a ton of diodes and facing in every direction. they are only about 15 bucks a pair. this company has the 1156 (single filament) and 1157 (double filament). they both come in red, amber and white - as previously mentioned, you need red lights for brake lights with a red lens.

I have these bulbs and they are a bit brighter than the Stanley halogens which are much brighter than the stock bulbs.

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm left wondering what both of these solutions look like compared to each other. The Amazon solution would be more affordable. But I imagine the Classic Auto LED solution would be brighter, though I also wonder if it would have a dot matrix look to it? Is anyone who has the 2002 Classic Auto LED product able to describe what it looks like? Does it just look like a brighter brake light?

Dan Wood

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'm left wondering what both of these solutions look like compared to each other. The Amazon solution would be more affordable. But I imagine the Classic Auto LED solution would be brighter, though I also wonder if it would have a dot matrix look to it? Is anyone who has the 2002 Classic Auto LED product able to describe what it looks like? Does it just look like a brighter brake light?
The first post shows the Classic Auto LEDs on a 2002 Roundie. They are a lot brighter and much more so with the brake light also activating brighter park lights. It definitely is more expensive but should also be more reliable.

offpage

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry Dan, I didn’t realize there was a comparison photos - unfortunately the photos were not loading for me and they still are not - just getting a “?” icon, but I’ll try to look again later - thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 10