Letter stating that my car complies with emission standards

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We are planning to retire to our house in Sonoma in a few years. If I understand correctly my 74 US spec coupe converted to e12 L-jet injection installed will not be legal in CA?
Bringing your 74 won’t be an issue, it’s out of country cars being scrutinized. And pre 76 cars don’t get smogged either.

jabloomf1230

Reaction score
Just a thought. Could everyone please keep this thread limited to providing suggestions to OP of how to get his car registered in CA? The political stuff is peripheral to the request.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Will do, but this new requirement sure seems quite political. That is all from me on this topic, I hope a solution is found for future transactions.

Just a thought. Could everyone please keep this thread limited to providing suggestions to OP of how to get his car registered in CA? The political stuff is peripheral to the request.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Making a counterfeit emissions sticker? How about print a counterfeit letter and be done?
I can't believe there is gambling in the house... Bogart
Just replacing what was removed by a prior owner, all Canadian delivered coupes met US requirements.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
WHAT HAPPENED THE CALIF LAW ONLY STARTS WITH SMOGS ON 1974 ON
NOT BACK I GUESS I HAVE TO CHECK
I WOULD TO A BMW DEALER AND GET IT THERE
SAME THING
GO TO DMW AND DO IT THERE
xemptions
California requires all vehicles to undergo a smog inspection EXCEPT:

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Vehicle built in Canada are certified to Canadian requirements. While most Canadian cars and trucks are manufactured identical to U.S. emission standards it is possible they may be manufactured with or without a U.S. emissions compliance label; meaning they have not been approved as conforming to United States EPA requirements.
If you plan on bringing a Canadian car or truck into the US, specifically California, you should verify the vehicle's Underhood Emission Label for an indication that it conforms to US EPA standards (including California emissions), even if the vehicle appears to be identical to its US counterpart. For model year 2002 and newer, most vehicles from Canada are acceptable for California import (or the US for that matter) without any emissions modification, and these vehicles can pass the California smog check. Keep in mind however that there are specific vehicle models that are built to "Canadian-Only" specficiations and are not eligible for US import. Questions about Canadian-Only vehicle models will be treated on a case-by-case basis by the EPA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/33mf1p

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score

IT FALLS UNDER THE 25 YEAR LAW RULE
NOT NEEDED.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am here to help if the Sonoma house stays vacant...
Currently rented full time. It’s the only way we could afford it

Larry, good luck! Sound like you need to jump through hoops but it’s doable. As you can see there’s lots of help available on this great forum.

I will say this having lived in California from 1986-1999. The car culture there is like no other in the country. It’s one of the things I miss most. (Along with the wine country) if you’ve never been, put Monterrey car week on your bucket list. You’ll understand.You won’t see guys at your local C&C doing burnouts in their pickup trucks. Like happens here. I did have an issue with a euro 1969 1600 cabrio titled in Colorado. Took it too a smog “referee” station and was able to get it CA legal. But that was 1988. As Bob Dylan would say “Things Have Changed,” I’ve lived most my life here NJ and a few years in Chicago. Nothing compares to the car scene in CA. Not to mention some of the best back roads to drive on. We travel there once a year. I’ll be there in two weeks looking at a NK sedan for sale in San Jose. Hopefully more, I’ve put the word out I’m looking for one.
So yeah its a PITA to legally register some vehicles (it helps to know the rules) but, (then there’s that cost of living thing) I’m willing to deal with it.
John

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Vehicle built in Canada are certified to Canadian requirements. While most Canadian cars and trucks are manufactured identical to U.S. emission standards it is possible they may be manufactured with or without a U.S. emissions compliance label; meaning they have not been approved as conforming to United States EPA requirements.
If you plan on bringing a Canadian car or truck into the US, specifically California, you should verify the vehicle's Underhood Emission Label for an indication that it conforms to US EPA standards (including California emissions), even if the vehicle appears to be identical to its US counterpart. For model year 2002 and newer, most vehicles from Canada are acceptable for California import (or the US for that matter) without any emissions modification, and these vehicles can pass the California smog check. Keep in mind however that there are specific vehicle models that are built to "Canadian-Only" specficiations and are not eligible for US import. Questions about Canadian-Only vehicle models will be treated on a case-by-case basis by the EPA.
https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/33mf1p

Alan, you missed the point, it isn’t about 76 and newer smog requirements or the 25 year rule.

JayWltrs

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Might not work in Cal, but I have tribal tags on my daughter’s car, because my wife & daughters are members of a federally registered tribe.

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
Look into California Vehicle Code VEH §259 and Health and Safety Code - HSC § 44011. These are the CA regs exempting collector cars from I/M testing. AZ has a similar exemption for collector cars. Basically, just get collector car insurance then you aren't required to get an emissions test. I just registered my 72 last week - no emission test, just had to show proof of having collector car insurance.

Alternatively, maybe register it in another state first, then bring it to California. Easier said than done, I know. But, each State sets its own standards and regulations for vehicle emissions compliance (called I/M program) Federal law only sets minimum standards for individual states, tribes and some other regions to comply with in order to meet federal air quality standards. CA has the most stringent regs if all states, even higher than the min fed standards - most states only meet federal environmental standards. Some states don't have an I/M program because they already meet federal air quality standards. So, first register it in a state that doesn't have IM testing, then bring it to CA.

But, that's probably bad advice. I don't know if it will work, because I've never had to it and I don't keep up with CA environmental law anymore. Plus it's a foreign import veh which I've never had to deal with. But anyway, maybe worth looking in to as a last resort.

Or just hire a company that imports foreign cars to CA and is more up to speed on the laws.

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
“Basically, just get collector car insurance then you aren't required to get an emissions test. “

California plays it different- no smog - no collector plate.

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
“Basically, just get collector car insurance then you aren't required to get an emissions test. “

California plays it different- no smog - no collector plate.
I'll take your word for it. I haven't lived in CA since the 80s. I had a minor role in the AZ classic car exemption and did some of the analytical work supporting that exemption. One for motorcycles too. But I still had to go back to the DMV 3 times last week before they gave me my plates. So, that shows you what I know -little.
But in rereading the posts I realize that the main issue is that the car has neither calepa or usepa emissions certifications, which are imposed on the manufacturer not the owner. So I suppose that's why the mvd wants a letter from BMW.
Does CA have a waiver program so that you can still register and drive your car while you get your car in compliance? Or if you pass a tailpipe test do you still need the CALEPA emissions compliance certification? (The manufacturer cert).
I'll be bringing a Land Rover home from Central America later this year, so I'll be feeling your pain too soon. If I figure anything out about how to bring it in then I'll share it.

Bert Poliakoff

Site Donor
Reaction score
In AZ, smog is only required in Maricopa County.So as Lennox said, it's classic car insurance or having an address to use out of the county. As to me, luckily I have both options as my car has had all of the fed crap on it removed

Lenoxx

Site Donor
Reaction score
In AZ, smog is only required in Maricopa County.So as Lennox said, it's classic car insurance or having an address to use out of the county. As to me, luckily I have both options as my car has had all of the fed crap on it removed
I don't have any emissions control on mine either.