Lightweight early CSL on BaT

giannicsl

Reaction score
Not sure I agree with that one.

Personally, I’ve never seen a completely original carb CSL. I’ve seen a lot that are truly amazing and certainly close, but nothing that was exactly as it left the factory. Makes sense. They are the oldest, the most spartan exterior and interior, and had 20 less HP than their siblings.
Yes, Marcos. You are absolutely right. I believe that in Italy, as far as my experience is concerned, the most realistic models are close to the originals. I speak of the carburetors are Lorenzo's former cars and the forum owner is Mario CSL yellow, even if I repeat. There are some details that are wrong. But they are the closest. In my opinion to the originality of the time.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score

Yes, Marcos. You are absolutely right. I believe that in Italy, as far as my experience is concerned, the most realistic models are close to the originals. I speak of the carburetors are Lorenzo's former cars and the forum owner is Mario CSL yellow, even if I repeat. There are some details that are wrong. But they are the closest. In my opinion to the originality of the time.

I think that car falls into the “close” category. A lot of work was done to get it into tip top shape. A set of original five hole wheels were acquired and restored for example. I’m not nitpicking. The point is that if you poke any ~50yo classic with a stick you will find a few discrepancies. That example is such a lovely car! I love everything about the Colorado carb CSL!

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
This says it all.....

CCCA59CC-2EC6-42BD-A5E7-81805BF5F956.jpeg

157C5C78-7094-439D-BBA2-E55E9C244E14.jpeg

mario csl giallo golf

Site Donor
Reaction score
Personally, I’ve never seen a completely original carb CSL. I’ve seen a lot that are truly amazing and certainly close, but nothing that was exactly as it left the factory. Makes sense. They are the oldest, the most spartan exterior and interior, and had 20 less HP than their siblings.

I have it, I have one at home, look at this photo of the color plate, how many csl have you seen with Karmann aluminum plate, without being coated with paint, or removed and reassembled in good order, with improper screws or rivets

20161001_124358.jpg

20161001_131850.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have it, I have one at home, look at this photo of the color plate, how many csl have you seen with Karmann aluminum plate, without being coated with paint, or removed and reassembled in good order, with improper screws or rivets

@mario csl giallo golf ,

Your car is absolutely wonderful. I would sell my first born for it! With that said it is also not completely original. Please note that it is not my goal to nitpick anyone's car especially when I have a rusty entry-level model that may never even see the light of day. :D Your car has had some paint work as evident from the door photo above. Again I mean no disrespect, only commenting on your last response. I think the vast majority of CSL's have had door work done on them, because the panels are so vunerable. I go back and forth on whether I want to put aluminum panels on my car. My kids have pinstriped every car I own with the handlebars of their bicycles! :oops:

I am thrilled that you are sharing your pictures, and hope that you continue to do so!

giannicsl

Reaction score
I have already written to Mario many times that none of us, at the moment, can write and say they have a CSL in absolute originality, but Mario's carburetors are an excellent reference.
just a few details would be enough to certify its absolute purity ... the double kidney mask with 5 strips, or find the door panels that are sound and not pierced by the sound boxes ....
the plastic seat covers and it's perfect for real

For example, here in Italy I know a csl polaris 2275xxx with an exceptional restoration
and I'm talking about screw on screw and bolt on bolt
nickname Nicolacsl
truly amazing ...
nuĺla of comparable to other CSLs
but I think bringing a second series is easier

the carburettors known to me so far are messed up
even if in imperceptible details

giannicsl

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Keshav, post: 295796, membro: 201"]
Gianni, carb Csls non hanno i coprisedili laterali in plastica. Ciò è stato definitivamente chiarito da coloro che hanno posseduto più carboidrati Csl. Quelle copertine sono arrivate con il 2275 e successivi.
[/CITAZIONE]
great Keshav

giannicsl

Reaction score
[QUOTE = "Keshav, post: 295796, membro: 201"]
Gianni, carb Csls non hanno i coprisedili laterali in plastica. Ciò è stato definitivamente chiarito da coloro che hanno posseduto più carboidrati Csl. Quelle copertine sono arrivate con il 2275 e successivi.
[/CITAZIONE]
great Keshav
it's always nice to learn
however in my opinion the carburettor versions are the most beautiful
of all series
and they should also be the most valued on the sales market
beautiful discussion
thanks to whoever intervened or will do it later

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it's always nice to learn
however in my opinion the carburettor versions are the most beautiful
of all series
and they should also be the most valued on the sales market
beautiful discussion
thanks to whoever intervened or will do it later

I believe they will get there eventually... not many left with all the right "bits"as mentioned, correct date stamps, castings and engine numbers. Even the BMW factory's Colorado lightweight is sporting a Petri and who knows what else you can't see. And I wonder how many still have their correct struts and Bilstein inserts... Less is More.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
+1 for less is more.

A trip to the scales should tell you much about any E9/csl, et al..

I 'think' the early light weights come in at around +/- 2700lbs. Later series closer to 2900lbs. Stock & loaded E9 about 3100lbs+

...but I make no claim on expertise, just an enthusiast.

But a sub-2700lb E9 is sure sweet! ;)