How to get back in... through the fuel rubber boot
1010da8c234b114df6e0a80c47d1e468.jpg

Then take out the tail light assembly
5b691d9639f0b5f3671ef046d0b5848d.jpg

Reach in and man handle the lock and your in

824211b7df0799d9609addda9c45e43d.jpg

Try to not scrape your arms, good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good find ! i once had the same with the rally car ... just put a screw driver in the lock and give a little knock with a hammer... and open it is . That lock isn't strong . Ofcourse you need a new one using my method :D

I'm assuming this is all fresh in your mind because you just assembled the entire car recently!

Tough to get in there when the elephant skin panel is covering that section of the trunk.

May have to bend the push to release tab, or the lock is missing the release tab completely. When I bought Athena the trunk wouldn't lock. So I had to futz with it a bit to get it to work correctly.

Locked, notice tab on the lock cylinder. Lower picture is unlocked, lock cylinder tab is at 12 o'clock.

E9 Locked.jpg

E9 Unlocked.jpg

Funny story..A couple of daves ago I was lying in the trunk of the Bavaria replacing the torsion rod in the trunk. I got out in a hurry when I realized there was nothing keeping the trunk lid up. Next time I put a towel over the lock mechanism.

Hmm, as an insurance policy, I may pull my elephant skin panel on the right side some day and see if there is a way to install a small cable that would end up just below the rubber boot around the gas filler. Might be handy some time if the trunk was locked and for some reason the key was inaccessible!!

Thanks Barry

Gary

Hmm, as an insurance policy, I may pull my elephant skin panel on the right side some day and see if there is a way to install a small cable that would end up just below the rubber boot around the gas filler. Might be handy some time if the trunk was locked and for some reason the key was inaccessible!!

Thanks Barry

Gary
Great idea! If you do, write it up with pictures and add to technical section

Old post but hoping. Looking at the lens is there just the one screw holding the corner lens in place along LH w a few clips

There are two large plastic nuts on long studs which hold the bulb holder to the lens. There are now two m8 head nuts on very short studs holding the lens to the body which need to be removed. You might be able to squeeze your arm between the tail panel and the vinyl cover but it looks like Barry’s may not have this cover.

Why not a small emergency release cable thru the gas filler boot? Just need to angle it down to avoid any slow dribbles. Doubt most theives would be smart enough to find it.

Or else, a small hole in the boot floor?

Why not a small emergency release cable thru the gas filler boot? Just need to angle it down to avoid any slow dribbles. Doubt most theives would be smart enough to find it.

Or else, a small hole in the boot floor?
Except the striker needs to move horizontally towards the rear seat.

Back