Locking wheel nuts

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Anyone got locking wheel nuts on ?

Like many of us I have got a lot of money invested in wheels and tyres and wouldn't be happy to have them walk one night, unfortunately my car lives outside although in a car port.

I have been looking at some McGard 24157 locking wheel nuts as cheap insurance and wonder if anyone has used these or similar?

Cheers. John

73E9er

Reaction score
I have used several sets of McGard's locking nuts over the years - pic is of present set on my BBS wheels. I always get them at Summit racing - best price available.

Attachments

• DSCN0702.JPG
    DSCN0702.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 111

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, can you remember the particular code for the nuts as I need to make sure they are deep enough for the thread on the studs.

Cheers John

73E9er

Reaction score
My records (from 2007!) show these numbers on the invoice:

Lug nuts: SUM-754001

Lock/unlock lug wrench adapter: GOR-71631N

I seem to remember that one could also get these nuts in "black" (whatever that means).

Best of luck, down under!

Gary

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Thanks Gary, that will give me a starting point with the company.

I am mystified as to the lack of response/ interest in this thread given the potential vulnerability of theft of expensive wheels, but I suppose that most of these cars live in garages and the wheels themselves wouldn't fit many other cars.

Thanks again. John

Blinkling

Site Donor
Reaction score
People like me can't have nice things like keyed lug nuts because we leave the key on the last nut and go for a test drive. And then when we're walking the streets looking for the key we swear we'll never buy another set.

Christopher

Site Donor
Reaction score
John - i'd be interested in acquiring some too, but haven't managed to source as yet. Would anyone happen to know the spec of the BMW nut (internal thread and length) to help find similar ?

Arde

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Really? I thought the penal colony was so long ago that theft would no longer exist in Sydney.

How about insurance coverage instead?

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Have used Mcgard lock nuts and lock bolts on all my BMWs for years. Not one of these lock nuts/bolts have ever failed nor have the the key heads/keys have ever stripped in any form or manner.

I have the 24196 set which has a 13/16" key hex nut. The 24157 set has a dual hex size setup, 3/4" and 13/16". Bolt/thread size is the standard BMW M12x1.50 and the shank length is 1.28". The chrome finish is very durable and will handsomely last for decades.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
Great, thanks Bert, most helpful.
Arde, yes one would hope so given the odd fitment and size, I mean what lowlife car part thief would even consider mere 16" rims these days .... but better safe than sorry

Cheers guys

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have those on my forester BBS rims. Drove off with the key on them. To get a replacement mcguard just wanted a cell phone shot of the lug nut. While convenient for me, kinda worrying.

nashvillecat

Reaction score
I am mystified as to the lack of response/ interest in this thread given the potential vulnerability of theft of expensive wheels, but I suppose that most of these cars live in garages and the wheels themselves wouldn't fit many other cars.

Not to dissuade you, but virtually all anti-theft measures have a downside. Wheels may present themselves as prime targets but there are many other generally "unwitting" targets of opportunity/happenstance. From a long-time victim's perspective, these include, "missing" front turn signal lenses, a partially disassembled center (radio) console, buggered window trim, "missing" lug nuts with a buggered wheel rim and a cosmetically "impaired" steering wheel. The same holds true for adjoining paint and trim.

Journeymen thieves tend to have work-arounds for mechanical wheel locks, as do many roadside assistance "technicians." This may not always be the case, but as the saying goes, "Where there is a will, there is a way." At the risk of belaboring the obvious, ill prepared novices may bungle up their prospective treasure as part of a challenging learning curve, so that the hoped-for "cure" may invite unforeseen damages. Perhaps fear of detection and likely apprehension via obvious surveillance equipment and/or wheel tracking devices might be a decent supplement/alternative. So might parking near C. Eastwood's character in Gran Torino.

vlcsnap-10986611.png

Last edited: