Locksmiths

CSLRich

Reaction score
Hi, reading various threads it seems many of us have suffered from the inevitable lock replacement at some point in our coupe's history. Mine's no different and I now have as many keys as forward gears !

I know that the lock barrels can effectively be "reprogrammed", by gradually removing or replacing pins until one key opens all the car's locks.

As part of my resto respray, all locks except ignition are currently out of the car so I'd like to take the opportunity to reprogram doors and boot/trunk barrels to the ignition key.

Trouble is, all of the general auto locksmiths I've contacted have scratched their heads, not called me back or sounded incompetent ! Anyone got a UK-based recommendation I could try out ? Or perhaps even someone in the US as I'm often their with work ?

Cheers, Rich

dj_efk

Reaction score
Hi, reading various threads it seems many of us have suffered from the inevitable lock replacement at some point in our coupe's history. Mine's no different and I now have as many keys as forward gears !

I know that the lock barrels can effectively be "reprogrammed", by gradually removing or replacing pins until one key opens all the car's locks.

As part of my resto respray, all locks except ignition are currently out of the car so I'd like to take the opportunity to reprogram doors and boot/trunk barrels to the ignition key.

Trouble is, all of the general auto locksmiths I've contacted have scratched their heads, not called me back or sounded incompetent ! Anyone got a UK-based recommendation I could try out ? Or perhaps even someone in the US as I'm often their with work ?

Cheers, Rich

Hi Rich,

I have this problem as well and am based in the UK (in London) too so let's work together - Let me know if you find a solution and if I'll bear you in mind if I dig up someone.

61porsche

Reaction score
There is a set for sale on Craigslist SF here from a Bav. two doors and ignition. $100. You'd have to cross check the appliccation to be sure. But maybe someone here needs them.

CSLRich

Reaction score
Deal done

There is a set for sale on Craigslist SF here from a Bav. two doors and ignition. $100. You'd have to cross check the appliccation to be sure. But maybe someone here needs them.

Thanks for the tip-off, the Bav locks are on their way since barrels seem to be interchangeable.

Also Chris, thanks for your recommendation. May well use them next winter to code the ignition to my "new" locks. But for this year I'll manage with 2 keys as an improvement.

As for the 5 speed conversion...

CSLRich

Reaction score
Hi Rich,

I have this problem as well and am based in the UK (in London) too so let's work together - Let me know if you find a solution and if I'll bear you in mind if I dig up someone.

Sorry DJ, I took the easy way out but if I do hear of any recommendations I will let you know. Hopefully the "Red Dragon" will be on the road this Spring hence attending a few meets, will ask around to see if there are any contacts.

Rich