Looking for a solution to an aesthetic problem

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Hi all -

Not an earth-shattering problem, but I'm looking for advice...

I have finally come to the conclusion that I dislike the center "dog dish" covers on my early 14" alloys. But I noticed that when I removed the hubcaps, the wheels themselves look very much like the early alloys on a 2002, and I like that look a lot. The '02 alloys simply have a center cap and chrome lug nuts. I've got a set of chrome lug nuts.

So, now I need center caps that will fit on/in the early alloys. I tried a center cap from a later FPS turbine wheel but the diameter is too small. Anyone have an idea about what might work?

as far as i konw those cups are availavle from bmw dealer

Hi deQuincey,

The small caps are much smaller than the wheels mounting hubs. Years ago on my 1st CS, I had thought about doing the same thing.

Yeah, the center hub cap is "not my thing" either, kind of "fuddy duddy" looking. Never been a big fan of them. Looks appropriate on an early 3.0 sedan, but not on a sporting coupe such as the CS.

BMW should have done this to the stock Chromodoras, ala the Ferrari Dino pretty 14" 6 spoke rims with painted black centers.

7858796920_957407c9b9_o.jpg

I've tried to do this also, I havent found a center that will work - the fit of the wheel is too tight on the hub to have a piece come from behind. I'd love to see how this can be done.

are they the same?

BMW should have done this to the stock Chromodoras, ala the Ferrari Dino pretty 14" 6 spoke rims with painted black centers.

7858796920_957407c9b9_o.jpg

Bert, just out of interest, are they actually the same wheels? The Dino's and the Coupe's?
And if they are the same, what's the chance of finding Dino's cap and sticking on a BMW badge? Although I can imagine Dino's parts will be shocking to find.......
like Larry, I actually quite like the look of the standard 14" too

the question comes to mind - what do you do with the recess in the ring around the lug nuts - the ones to remove the hubcap with. the dino wheel does not have this feature

Attachments

• e9 wheel.jpg
    e9 wheel.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 202
omg - $1000 a piece!!! i was expecting 800 for 4. at least the good pix will give somebody an idea of how to make them.

so
you say that the hole diameter for the old style stock rims is bigger than the diameter of the fps alpina style wheels ?

a friend found these NOS cups for the 14" alpina style rims

will this be ok ? cap diameter is 65mm

cup2.jpg

cup1.jpg

cup.jpg

regards

I think the hole diameter is smaller on the stock rim, no room to fit those from behind and clear the hub.

The search continues...

Unfortunately, those are the exact caps that I tried. The diameter is too small. Plus they are held in place by a lip that sits inside the wheel opening. If Steve is correct that there is no room for that lip, that's another strike.

I don't hate the BBS caps. but they ain't cheap. There's a set on ebay now at $295.00. For that, I can pretty much refinish the set of beat up turbines I have access to. In the end, that may be the way I go. But the search continues.

Yep, that's what I'm talking about - do those caps fit for real? I have a set of new nickel covered lug nuts just waiting for this mod. Do tell!

Last edited:
Back