Looking for a solution to an aesthetic problem

Wow, the fuddy duddy "capped" factory wheel has been transformed into a very sporty looking rim. I do see crud and dirt accumulating in the gap between the wheel and hub though. Certain a machinist could somehow design and manufacture an aluminum ring that would acommodate the small hubcap and then would snap into the factory wheel hub. Pretty sure these will sell like hot cakes!

Is this your experimentation and creation deQuincey? If yes, very nicely done!

Amateur Photoshop job, but gives an idea:

Wheel.jpg

Curious if you tried blacking out the center...similar to Alpina rims...if so did you take pics?

Last edited:
Yep, that's what I'm talking about - do those caps fit for real? I have a set of new nickel covered lug nuts just waiting for this mod. Do tell!

unfortunately the caps are not fixed, but a black rubber o- ring of the apropriate size and a dab of glue can do the miracle
i feel that there is no place for any other solution if you use this caps, in the picture they are just there, and they fit and support themselves, so the size is close, but yeah there is a gap there that must be filled, i have a lot of big o-rings thick enough to provide pressure for the assembly and fix
probably i will check it one of these days

Caps

These caps are about 2mm too small but if you bend the three tabs out a bit they will fit.

BMW part # 36131117649

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 127
  • cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 134
I like the aluminum colored center myself. If I were going to do it I’d have to machine the edge the hub cap sits on, on a lathe till the removal indentations were gone and then bead blast the rim to remove the machining marks. The coupe wheels remind me of Halibrand wheels. I’d love to see what a coupe would look like with polished Halibrands :smile::smile: with the smaller windows or kidney bean windows. I guess my hot rod roots are showing. ~ John Buchtenkirch
!!!aw2.jpg

!!!aw3.jpg

Seems like there are 2 different types of caps here. The old style cap (36 13 1 114 435) is fitted from behind wheel and the newer style cap (36 13 1 117 649) is clipped on from the front. Also, newer cap looks to be slightly wider in diameter than old style cap.

Verde2002 has probably come up with the simplest and best hubcap solution to this CS wheel issue.

I was concerned that there isn't enough space for them to grab onto and hold over bumps etc. at speed. Not much there between the hub and the outer edge of the wheel. Can you try it on a mounted wheel?

IMG-20121002-00030.jpg

I test fitted as seen in photo. Not sure why you don't think they will fit. What is your concern?

I was concerned that there isn't enough space for them to grab onto and hold over bumps etc. at speed. Not much there between the hub and the outer edge of the wheel. Can you try it on a mounted wheel?

IMG-20121002-00030.jpg

Steve, unfortunatly the wheels on my coupe are not the oem wheels so I won't be able to try but based on your photo it looks like there is enough area for the tabs to grab on to but I do understand your concern at high speeds.

Back