Looking for AC drier.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I've called Nostalgia Air, Vintage Air and Old Air looking for an AC drier.
None of them had one like the original.

It's shown on Realoem but BMW wants over $200 for one.
I may just have to get an o-ring version and convert which means new hoses. It's only money?
And if converted at least a chance of getting another one in the future if my compressor or evaporator were to explode or leak , respectively of course.

4 years ago I bought one of these for $40.

Just shows you what's happening with parts.
Any help will be appreciated.
Gary

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I probably have 3 of them- Please show me a picture of what you need (I may even have a pretty new one) since I did the total vintage air conversion and I have an A/C parts car out back (e3)

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If an old one has been exposed to air it isn’t useable. I put a modern one behind the passenger headlight as there is no room in the engine bay and I wanted o-ring fittings with 134.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i remember hearing that there was a Mercedes part that was very similar to the original. one for a mercedes 115 if i remember correctly.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I purchased one from Bus Parts Experts 3-4 years ago when I replaced most of my system. I needed a short one that was 3" in diameter. They had one with a site glass that fit perfectly, and the cost was about $20 - 25 including shipping.

I need to open my system again this summer and have re-ordered the same drier, but it is now on back order. They can get one without the site glass, however in the same size. The drier could be no longer than 6 1/2" for my '74. Their part number 1032 for that size drier. IF you can use one that is 9 1/2" long, they can ship that one now (part # 1010).

Web site is: http://www.buspartsexperts.com/

Gary

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am not sure I buy the open to atmosphere and it's toast thing. Should depend on time of exposure and humidity. Also would think hooking to a vacuum and boiling off moisture would do the trick. If one suspects lots of debris in the "receiver" portion, then that's a different story.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
Yes but under a vacuum you change the water's vapor pressure and can get the water to boil off. A desiccant can be reused if the moisture is removed.

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
For $20 just go new. Gary I bought an AC vacuum pump from Harbor Freight years ago for cheap, but I'm now quite popular with friends who need AC work

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looking at the Behr drier from RM, that has the input and outlet on the same side of the drier. I'm not sure about any e9 except my '74, but mine requires input and outlet to be at 180 degrees for OE plumbing.

Gary