Looking for Chrome Bumpers for my 74

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I am looking for nice Chrome bumpers and the install kit (if there is one) for my 74 e9. Any leads would be appreciated.

Scott

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I found these along with these too
Let me know your thoughts on these and what you think is a fair price. Do I need some sort of attachment kit for these. Please direct me to the right post if so. Thanks much!

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hello Scott, pretty good price for #2. I have heard the stainless ones are quite good, but tricky to fit. Not sure where you would get the mounts. Good Luck, hopefully some others have the answer.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Scott,

shame you missed the 400 set, they had some of the rubber + mounting brackets. in order to use the stainless ones, there are additive costs. you need all of the mounting hardware, you need all of the rubber, you need the extrusions to mount the rubber to (and have to drill and mount those pieces). you will probably have another 800 to 1000 bucks in addition to the bumpers. but once done, you have nice + new stainless bumpers ... compared to chrome. you can still buy the brackets new from BMW. you can buy all new mounting bolts from W+N for a reasonable price. you can buy new rubber for the bumpers + front overriders / rear underriders from BMW or W+N. as far as the extrusions to mount the rubber to the linear parts of the bumper - you have 2 choices - buy regular steel pieces from BMW or buy stainless ones from your best buddy in Colorado. (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

glad you kept your coupe
scott

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You may also want to have a body shop fill the large holes from the big bumpers and repaint the under bumper areas so factor that in.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I have seen first hand a set of 2002 bumpers in steel made by the guy who sells the stainless bumpers. They were very crude and shape was off a bit. I would avoid at all cost.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I am looking for nice Chrome bumpers and the install kit (if there is one) for my 74 e9. Any leads would be appreciated.

Scott
Hi;
There is a shop in Ca somewhere and I spoke to the owner and he said he had used bumpers for an E9.
Call this number: 650-868-8111. Tell him Harry from Ma. gave you this info.
Thanks
Koopman

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Found out where these are made, if it's SE Asia be careful, ask for pics of the backside. Also, it will look similar to chrome but won't be the same.

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks to Jon Iverson, I've got a set of bumpers coming to my shop in Boise to install.
My shop is NOT a body shop nor has experience in installing these, but they are pretty handy and think they can do it.
Is there some reference materials on this forum somewhere that someone can point me to so I can send to them?

scottevest

Site Donor
Reaction score
I thought I'd find the definitive instructions on how to install the chrome bumpers in this thread but no luck. The search continues. I feel badly as I have not done a very good job of keeping threads together... I promise to improve.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Instructions on putting the bumpers together? Or putting them on the body? Or both?

The former, aren't there diagrams posted many places?