Looking for help with regard to rear seatbelts

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
My 3.0S built in december 1971 has no rear seatbelts.

I want to install rear seatbelts to make a nice tour with four people... at the moment it is more like coupe driving with only front seatbelts.

Have some of you original seatbelts inside?

I prefer three point seatbelts.

I have found the wholes for the end of the sealtbelt and these for the buckles. But I'm not sure how to install the rest.

I picture of the complete installation (they are coming from the trunk right?

Best regards
Andreas

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There are people with more knowledge than me, but I'm pretty sure that for the rear you will only find factory two point belts. My 74 only has two point belts. I probably have a set of rears from a 72 if you cannot find locally...but you should find them easily over there. If you want three point, you will probably have to have made custom, or get creative with a later set of belts from a 3 series or similar. PM if you have interest in mine.

UPDATE... I read too fast. I spoke to e9, you are looking for e3 that I do not have knowledge of, sorry.

Last edited:

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Not sure but I thought I saw some in the phots of the recent" E3 parts for sale" listing on this Forum

Sean Haas

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I added them to my '73 E3/Bavaria (US model) so I could put my kids in the back. I ordered the parts from QuickFit in the UK who are very helpful. My car did not have any factory mounting points for 3 point belts, just the lap belts in the rear. In the E3 there is not enough room between the rear parcel shelf and the wheel well to mount the retractor in the trunk, so you must mount the retractor on top of the parcel shelf, but it looks OK and can be covered in whatever color vinyl you want. I believe their process was to put a hole for a bolt in the parcel shelf, tack-weld on a metal plate underneath the shelf to spread out the force of the belt in case of an accident, and then bolt the retractor on top. The receptacle/latch uses the factory mount as does the outside hip part. Very happy with the outcome. Pawel at QuickFit can help with mounting suggestions if you have issues.

Attachments

• belts1.JPG
    belts1.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 94
  • belts2.JPG
    belts2.JPG
    235.3 KB · Views: 91

Gransin

Site Donor
Reaction score
I recently installed 3 point belts in my e3 as well, there were no threads in the pre-existing holes on the parcel shelf, but that was solved by putting a huge! pretty thick washer underneath.
I bought Securon 254 belts, they're okay but I'm sure there are nicer alternatives out there, I was in a hurry to get the child seats installed in the back.

Attachments

• IMG_20210417_105346.jpg
    IMG_20210417_105346.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20210417_105431.jpg
    IMG_20210417_105431.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 92

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
My 1973 3.0 CSi had rear 3-point seatbelts when I bought it in 2011. They were connected to a threaded mount visible in the trunk under the sides of the parcel shelf sheet metal. Does your car have these?

I would be happy to send you my complete rear 3-point set for a nominal price plus shipping.

IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3110.JPG

IMSA-CSL

Reaction score
The later (european) models definitivly have the mounts for 3 point seatbelts. they come from the trunk and C-pillar.

So it is the question if the early E3s from late 71 have that opportunity.

Best regards
Andreas