Looking for knurled bolts

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
I have managed to lose a set of the knurled bolts (part # 63121811910 on Real OEM diagram 63/4) that hold down the plate that covers the headlight access hole. I need three of them. Anyone have any extras they can spare? Will gladly pay whatever the going rate is.

Thanks,

Larry

LarryE9E10

Reaction score
Got'em, sort of...

Update on my search. Knurled bolts:

1. are NLA from BMW,
2. no one on this board had extras,
3. Karl Nelson didn't have them either,
4. nor did Peter at CoupeKing,
5. nor did Dan at coupeguy.

So... I paid Walloth & Nesch an arm & a leg for a set plus loan shark-level shipping costs (all done willingly, I acknowledge). They arrived today.

Brand new.
Fit perfectly.
But...., they're black... Black! So close, and yet, so far away.

PS. Last year, when I ordered from BMW a replacement for the chrome Golde sunroof crank handle on my tii it came in black too.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
did you think about recasting them? I have the same problem so I am thinking of making some

uwulff

Reaction score
This what they look like

I have one,I think I sent 3 to someone that purchased a box of parts from me.

Attachments

• knob xxxx.jpg
    knob xxxx.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 93

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
Knobular Unit

I've been looking into making new screws for several months. I've got the correct steel screw part, the trick is making the plastic knob.

The plastic used is slightly translucent so you can barely see the screw head below, getting the right material to reproduce that is not as easy as it seems.

But the big issue is getting the injection mold made. To have a shop do that would cost many thousands, they use electro machining to slowly eat away at a block of metal leaving a perfect smooth surface with the wanted features.

Fine for producing many units, but I'd be surprised if the world needs more than a few hundred knobs.

I have finally found the right material to make the molds out of at a substantially lower cost, but it will cost me a couple hundred for the materials, not to mention my time. I'm hoping to have as many new knobs as you'd want in a few weeks. Please stand by.

Ian

Attachments

• injection_molding.jpg
    injection_molding.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 81
  • image-3.jpg
    image-3.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 84