Looking for this spare part

Stefano_b

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hello to all! Considering how much this part is worn out and worried about the chance of a fuel leakage, i am looking a way to fix or a new one.

Any advise?
0567bc8b6c38897b25672ac4ff9087f5.jpg

its a standard part on all
actually
take it off and use a wire wheel on it
then if need be coat the tubes with jb weld
or a sleeve of metal
there not much pressure there
mine looks about the same
and it is aluminum so it wont corrode
very easily once cleaned you could always clear coat it
and seal the surfaces once clean

Last edited:
Thanks to all, and about the car, sorry...my mistake: it is a 2800cs 1969. A special thank to Aearch :)

There is a good chance at least one of the bolts will snap in the housing when you try to remove it, soak it liberally first, maybe use a bit of heat too. It's just a coolant passage, I would not remove it unless it is leaking, there is no fuel in there.

Hello to all! Considering how much this part is worn out and worried about the chance of a fuel leakage, i am looking a way to fix or a new one.

Any advise?

it has been said, that is not filled with fuel, but with coolant, if there is a leak it wont explode, but it will be a risk of overheating if you lose coolant

pressure is usually between 0,4 to less than 1bar (max pressure admited by the safety cap at the coolant reservoir or expansion tank)

that is the lower cover of the intake manifold and that is the rear carb, there are not new ones ;-(

despite that it looks crappy is not that bad, you can clean it with steel wool, or even sand blasting, be careful not to remove material it is aluminium, so it is delicate

aluminium is corroded by water and the effect of temperature and electricity in the engine, it corrodes, and heavily, those covers ar NLA! so treat them kindly, yours are not that bad, be careful if you want to remove them from the manifold, the bolts will be stuck for sure (HBC is right, if they do not leak, leave them alone)

i would simply clean them to ensure a good and tight seal between the rubber hose and those tubes

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your precious advices! I am considering not to remove the cover, but just to respectfully clean it :).

Any advise?
Hi;
Please PM me a part number and I will find one for you.
Koopman

I am going to bump this. After digging into mine, it’s heavily corroded. I’m looking for #5 and #8 (plus gaskets) which are NLA. Any leads or advice? If this thread doesn’t get traction, I’ll create a fresh one.
9C9FD9C5-50C2-465B-9C99-D24B7A1705AC.jpeg
92A64B52-AE20-4DDF-B5B1-E1FDFF7BC49F.jpeg
FAE570A7-9B4B-4E1E-BB51-8A07FCD1FEC0.jpeg
C5BBCE3A-8EB8-4B0F-88B2-019D3ED2C1E9.jpeg

I think #5 ( in the drawing) is just a sealing washer, any fitting oil plug crush washer will do.

The bottom covers are NLA. A few options:
- see if it really leaks. Rubber hoses can cope with some rough surfaces.
- find a used one it better condition,
- professional solution: weld a new section of tube on it.

Gaskets for them are available. Walloth have them I believe.

I think I have a bottom cover, because I remember after snapping off one of the bolts that Chris recommended not trying to separate the cover from the manifold. If you have already removed your cover and are seeking a new one, I may be able to help.

However, if you haven't removed the cover I think you should follow Chris' advice. I had soaked the bolts overnight in penetrating oil, and was very gentle with the removal, and still one of them snapped right off.

I think #5 ( in the drawing) is just a sealing washer, any fitting oil plug crush washer will do.

The bottom covers are NLA. A few options:
- see if it really leaks. Rubber hoses can cope with some rough surfaces.
- find a used one it better condition,
- professional solution: weld a new section of tube on it.

Gaskets for them are available. Walloth have them I believe.
Thank you and @Ohmess for the helpful tips! The second bottom cover will be removed on Monday to see how I plan to approach this. I appreciate the quick responses!

I just removed both bottom covers and snapped one bolt on each side. I was able to extract with heat, i had great access as both manifolds were off. I would not want to try with the manifolds attached.

The advice to clean in place and repair with JB Weld similar is very sound.

Almost guaranteed to snap a bolt or too even after soaking with PB Blaster. I have repaired the hose bibs with JBWeld with excellent results.
Thank you HB Chris and @boonies. Sounds like JBWeld will be a very strong contender for this project until I can source new/in good shape bottom covers.

Depending on where you live is simply bypassing them an option? If my thinking is correct all those pieces do is help to warm the carbs. if the logic flows and you live somewhere warm(ish) couldn't you simply run without them with no loss of performance, or risk to the engine? I'd of thought not that different to some guys that have bypassed the cold start valve on their injected cars for similar reasons.

Depending on where you live is simply bypassing them an option? If my thinking is correct all those pieces do is help to warm the carbs. if the logic flows and you live somewhere warm(ish) couldn't you simply run without them with no loss of performance, or risk to the engine? I'd of thought not that different to some guys that have bypassed the cold start valve on their injected cars for similar reasons.
I live in the Pacific Northwest so I’ll need all the pre warming as possible unfortunately haha. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Back