Low mileage survivor in So. Cal

Brent

Reaction score
Ad states; "purchased in West Germany in 1972 and shipped to the US that year"

Perhaps I am showing my ignorance about European delivery CS's here, but wouldn't a CS delivered in West Germany have been side marker delete, whereas this car has side markers?

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
Maybe DOT required that they be added.

We've had a few grey market cars over the years, and we always had to add the DOT equipment (including US spec lighting).

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
If we knew the VIN it is probably a US build and European delivery. It has the MPH speedo, A/C panel, etc. but side markers lights had to be added back in the day if it weren't to US spec. I wonder if they have service history to prove that mileage? I sent the seller an e-mail.

Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Received a few photos, looks like US `73 from the bumper. He has the service history as well.

Attachments

• IMG00071.jpg
    IMG00071.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG00065.jpg
    IMG00065.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG00072.jpg
    IMG00072.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 368

echappe

Reaction score
someone added the funky sidemolding and the sheepskins could be hiding a multitude of sins....also paint doesn't look like its been garaged since birth

bert35csi

Site Donor
Reaction score
Boy, just hate those aftermarket side mouldings on coupes! With the doors, these aftermarket fittings, in addition to the factory aluminum trims and the rocker panel trims create a very cluttered 4 panel appearance. Very unsightly!

Car wash on a coupe? No way! How many gallons of water got deposited into all the various hidden body cavities?

Just nitpicking! It still maybe a very nice CS though.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Give the seller a chance to post more info and answer questions, he has asked to join this site and is awaiting approval.

runner

Reaction score
I notice the trunk designation is 3.0 CS, not 3.0 CS automatic. It is an automatic. Did they come designated both ways on the automatics depending on years?

runner

Reaction score
My mistake, just realized the automatic would be on the other side of trunk (driver's side). I responded too quick.

PaulinPa

Reaction score
Rear bumper has "blanking" plates covering holes for license plate lights,anyone know where I can get a set of these? NLA.

m_thompson

Reaction score
Rear bumper has "blanking" plates covering holes for license plate lights,anyone know where I can get a set of these? NLA.

My '72 has working lights next to the plate and unconnected lights in the bumper. I have seen several '72s and '73s that are the same.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Those plastic chrome covers are extremely hard to find. Since they break and fall out owners replace them with the Hella bumper lights to avoid having an empty hole in their bumpers. Or, if you can find a trunk panel without the screw holes from a US car and then remove those trunk mounted lights. The covers are unique to US `73 VINs.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Side Moldings--not pretty

But became a somewhat popular add-on in the 1980's to protect the sides from dents supplied from careless drivers parked next to the naked sides of our coupes.

Unfortunately most of those strips were pop riveted in place so removal is followed by filling a bunch of little holes and re-painting--usually the entire car--a real PIA!!

jmackro

Reaction score
But became a somewhat popular add-on in the 1980's to protect the sides from dents supplied from careless drivers parked next to the naked sides of our coupes.

Yea, the concept was that instead of having your car get a door ding and look a little ugly, you could pop rivet on those strips and make it look real ugly. All the time.

Another one of those trends from the 70's / 80's that have thankfully faded away.

bmw art car

Reaction score
Unfortunately most of those strips were pop riveted in place so removal is followed by filling a bunch of little holes and re-painting--usually the entire car--a real PIA!!

mine were glued with adhesive strips, lucky me...
i had aleady mightmare visions of having to weld those little holes.

mpolak

Reaction score
1972 1/2 3.0 CS BMW Coupe

I am now active on the site and am happy to answer any questions regarding my 3.0 CS 1972 1/2 for sale. 31,790 Original Miles, this vehicle is a "purest" car. Nothing has been changed other than the tires and brakes lines. Well other than all necessary fluids. This vehicle was picked up in Munich in June of 1972 from the factory and driven by my father in then shipped to long beach that same summer. The vehicle has been with the original owners my family since bought in 1972. It has never seen snow or an accident. I recently had a vehicle inspection and test done. The inspector said in 20 years of doing this he has never seen a coupe in such great pure original condition. No rust or damage, has been covered and garaged for life. The paint is faded although that is the only thing that shows the age of the vehicle. Everything works, AC, Power Windows, Auto Trans, In-line 6 Cyl, tool kit is missing a couple tools, we do have original first aid kit still in packaging, fire extinguisher, original spare tire and jack, We just put it up on a rack and show no rust and all parts in great condition for age, This is truly one of a kind. You won't find one in this original condition, it has never been refurbished and doesn't have any after market parts. I spent 4 hours with a professional and this truly is not something you will find to many of in this "Original Condition" The windows all say made in West Germany, Left hand drive, Please let me know if you want specific pictures I will take them and email them to you. I am selling this for my father since his father my grandfather has recently passed. This belongs with someone who can really enjoy this vehicle and has the need to collect this type of car. By the way the seat covers have kept the seats in excellent condition and protected them wonderfully. I have since removed the seat covers. [email protected]

Attachments

• IMG00065.jpg
    IMG00065.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG00071.jpg
    IMG00071.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG00072.jpg
    IMG00072.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG00073.jpg
    IMG00073.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 236

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Michael,

I hope you find a buyer who appreciates the originality of this unique coupe. To have a one family owned example is very rare, ccr2002 in Utah can attest to that with his Ceylon coupe. I would love to know the VIN, if it was picked up in mid June it should have pre-1973 US bumpers. The first US `73 automatic was 2250319 which the BMW Archive says was built on 11/2/72. Please post some engine, trunk and interior photos for the board, you are going to get many requests for photos I believe. You have my e-mail address, pease keep in touch.

Chris