M30 head disassembly

billpatterson

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

What is the easiest way to dissemble a M30 head? I have read to loosen each eccentric as much as possible then the rocker rods will come out. I have done this and there is still pressure on the rocker rods from some cam lobes. The last thing I want to do is stress any pieces or damage any bearing surfaces. I am thinking of removing the eccentrics from each rocker; this would remove all pressure and should make removing the rockers rods easily.

Each rocker rod has a grub screw in the end; Are these threads used by a puller/slide hammer to remove the rocker rods? (I'm think of making a simple puller, if needed) Each rocker rod is held in place by a head bolt and a head bolt inserted back in would keep the rocker rod from turning when each of these grub screws is removed.

Once the rockers, springs etc along each rod are removed, the cam should easily slip out, as there are no more 'obstacles'. Correct?

Again, any advice and input is very welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

1646109684078.jpeg

deQuincey

Quousque tandem...?
Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi there

What is the easiest way to dissemble a M30 head? I have read to loosen each eccentric as much as possible then the rocker rods will come out. I have done this and there is still pressure on the rocker rods from some cam lobes. The last thing I want to do is stress any pieces or damage any bearing surfaces. I am thinking of removing the eccentrics from each rocker; this would remove all pressure and should make removing the rockers rods easily.

Each rocker rod has a grub screw in the end; Are these threads used by a puller/slide hammer to remove the rocker rods? (I'm think of making a simple puller, if needed) Each rocker rod is held in place by a head bolt and a head bolt inserted back in would keep the rocker rod from turning when each of these grub screws is removed.

Once the rockers, springs etc along each rod are removed, the cam should easily slip out, as there are no more 'obstacles'. Correct?

Again, any advice and input is very welcome.

Thanks,
Bill

View attachment 136999

removing eccentrics will not remove pressure,

this might help, #77…

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
One of these helps. I could loan it to you for the cost of shipping there and back...

I found some helpful information on the mye28 forum, also. Discussion regarding the order of removal for the rocker shafts, etc. It seems that there is a debate whether they should be removed in a specific order or if that is unnecessary. Personally, I'll follow the order if I can. While I haven't taken my head apart yet, I have prepared by setting myself up with both a threaded "puller" and a brass drift for "pushing" the shafts out (in addition to the compression tool above).