M30B34-Powered Euro 1972 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed BaT (NMNA)

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
oh boy - the Ron Perry name appears. not much info on the b34 and whether or not the compression was raised above the low US specs ... nor does it state what the HP of the engine is.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Nice presentation - if you were going to do a magazine article.....
Leaves me hollow though - Not much shown in detail for what would interest potential buyers IMO... and the 'superficial' look the bottom side of the chassis has would be concerning to me as well.

Looks like a nice car with some interesting features. Hope the details provide some meat to the shine the pictures have.....

day66

Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the ends of the bulkhead and the tow bracket from the spare wheel well …..
Lots of shiny bits but looks like a blind man did the fuel lines, and the exhaust system so you have to wonder about the stuff you can’t see
I actually like the bumpers - those work better than the mix and match interior

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I wonder what happened to the ends of the bulkhead
Good catch. Engine compartment not sealed from the HVAC blower. Weather strip should go to the end of engine compartment opening But there’s nothing to hold the weather strip at the top of the inner fenders.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Look at the shoulders of the seats, 2800CS tach, no basketweave on door panels, world’s tallest e9 shift lever. It is what he does.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
it looks like the clock might also be 2800cs ... the number colors seem to match the tach.
the door panels are also missing the metal strips and it looks the the kick panels don't have the metal trims either.
the seats don't look comfortable - no lumbar support and are concave at the top. they are seamed along the edge instead of the tucks / folds. it is a nice looking red leather.
what's up with the open lug nuts on an alpina style wheel ... don't look like real alpinas

there are parts that look decent, then there's the rest of it. RP probably charged them a fortune.

now for the logical question - its for sale in California but titled in Washington. does it have a California emissions issue?

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Looks quite nice. Not a fan of the 2000cs bumpers.
Can someone explain why one would put 2000cs bumpers on and tout it as if it is some sort of upgrade? I could see doing this if you had some laying around for a '74 big bumper coupe or something, but why on a Euro '72? Just curious...

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
Can someone explain why one would put 2000cs bumpers on and tout it as if it is some sort of upgrade? I could see doing this if you had some laying around for a '74 big bumper coupe or something, but why on a Euro '72? Just curious...
Agree. I guess the originals were too dented to be re-used? And these were lying around?

Same for the motor, perhaps? A 200hp original csi engine is a huge value-add in my book, but if the engine is totally shot (and needing a pricey rebuild), then dropping in a newer, sound M30 that is lying around is an economical choice.

It's hard to make money restoring E9s, more so now than ever.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Since we're piling on, I'm curious how the parking brake assembly works since they used bolts to hold the cables on. Did they remove the studs on the mounting block?

jefflit

Site Donor $
Reaction score
@GolfBavaria asks "Can someone explain why one would put 2000cs bumpers on and tout it as if it is some sort of upgrade?" Wow. Really? If there's one thing we all should've realized by now on this forum it's that there is room for everyone's personal preferences on these cars. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I know there is a strong propensity towards originality on the forum but perhaps you'd look at them more favorably if they were described as chrome plated CSL bumpers? (The black fiberglass rear CSL bumper is the same shape as the 2000 CS rear.)

Just to be clear, that is not a 2000 CS front bumper. The nose of a 2000 CS is completely different than a 3.0 and the bumper will not fit. Like the BAT car, the 2000 CS bumper is also all chrome but had its own chrome overriders with rubber strips so the BAT car really is more of a "chromed CSL" look than a 2000 CS look. I don't care for how the BAT car just removed the overriders and exposed the section lines and hardware on the front bumper. Regardless, I'm a huge fan of the BAT car's overall clean bumper look and, since you asked, I'll tell you why...

IMHO, the rubber strips and overriders/under riders are just concessions government regulations, practicality, or poor driving habits. The fact that the original rear design of the car (2000 CS) had a simple all chrome rear bumper shows that this was the designer's original intent. So often good designs are compromised by well-meaning nannies. I think this is a prime example. Clean and simple is what the car deserves when not needing to be concerned about parallel parking mishaps.

One of the reasons old cars please us is the "vintage" look with shiny bits in places that regulation has prevented modern cars from wearing. Bumpers are a major part of this appeal. A clean, simple chrome bumper gives a great look that no plastic bumper cover can hope to achieve.

I don't drive by braille so have no need for curb feelers or rubber bumpers. Of course, I say that with all due respect for those who prefer otherwise. There's nothing wrong with the stock bumpers. We're acclimated to the look, the overriders elongate the nose a bit and have a pleasing rakish angle to them, and the rear under riders serve to break up the flat, otherwise shapeless rear panel. And they're certainly more practical if you bump up against the garage door or the CSL next to you on the lawn at the local Concours.

Some of us like to apply subtle custom touches to our cars, while others prefer originality at all costs. But we almost all make some non-original changes to our cars, whether it be a 3.5 L motor, a 5 speed, US side marker deletion, smaller Euro-style turn signal lenses, or tucking in USA 5 mph bumpers to Euro spec. Most people consider eliminating those government-mandated changes as an improvement. Why not removing the rubber from the bumpers also? Just because they didn't do that in Europe?

I suspect that if BMW had never fitted the rubber strips and over/under riders to the original cars and had instead stuck with a look similar to the car in question, you'd be as aghast by the rogue owner who stuck rubber strips and bumperettes to his otherwise all-BMW example as you are by the guy who walks through Pep-Boys and puts all manner of stick-on fake port hole trim and door ding strips onto his Celica.

Regardless of your preferences, I certainly respect your right to do with your car what makes you happy.

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
@GolfBavaria asks "Can someone explain why one would put 2000cs bumpers on and tout it as if it is some sort of upgrade?" Wow. Really? If there's one thing we all should've realized by now on this forum it's that there is room for everyone's personal preferences on these cars. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and I know there is a strong propensity towards originality on the forum but perhaps you'd look at them more favorably if they were described as chrome plated CSL bumpers? (The black fiberglass rear CSL bumper is the same shape as the 2000 CS rear.)

Just to be clear, that is not a 2000 CS front bumper. The nose of a 2000 CS is completely different than a 3.0 and the bumper will not fit. Like the BAT car, the 2000 CS bumper is also all chrome but had its own chrome overriders with rubber strips so the BAT car really is more of a "chromed CSL" look than a 2000 CS look. I don't care for how the BAT car just removed the overriders and exposed the section lines and hardware on the front bumper. Regardless, I'm a huge fan of the BAT car's overall clean bumper look and, since you asked, I'll tell you why...

IMHO, the rubber strips and overriders/under riders are just concessions government regulations, practicality, or poor driving habits. The fact that the original rear design of the car (2000 CS) had a simple all chrome rear bumper shows that this was the designer's original intent. So often good designs are compromised by well-meaning nannies. I think this is a prime example. Clean and simple is what the car deserves when not needing to be concerned about parallel parking mishaps.

One of the reasons old cars please us is the "vintage" look with shiny bits in places that regulation has prevented modern cars from wearing. Bumpers are a major part of this appeal. A clean, simple chrome bumper gives a great look that no plastic bumper cover can hope to achieve.

I don't drive by braille so have no need for curb feelers or rubber bumpers. Of course, I say that with all due respect for those who prefer otherwise. There's nothing wrong with the stock bumpers. We're acclimated to the look, the overriders elongate the nose a bit and have a pleasing rakish angle to them, and the rear under riders serve to break up the flat, otherwise shapeless rear panel. And they're certainly more practical if you bump up against the garage door or the CSL next to you on the lawn at the local Concours.

Some of us like to apply subtle custom touches to our cars, while others prefer originality at all costs. But we almost all make some non-original changes to our cars, whether it be a 3.5 L motor, a 5 speed, US side marker deletion, smaller Euro-style turn signal lenses, or tucking in USA 5 mph bumpers to Euro spec. Most people consider eliminating those government-mandated changes as an improvement. Why not removing the rubber from the bumpers also? Just because they didn't do that in Europe?

I suspect that if BMW had never fitted the rubber strips and over/under riders to the original cars and had instead stuck with a look similar to the car in question, you'd be as aghast by the rogue owner who stuck rubber strips and bumperettes to his otherwise all-BMW example as you are by the guy who walks through Pep-Boys and puts all manner of stick-on fake port hole trim and door ding strips onto his Celica.

Regardless of your preferences, I certainly respect your right to do with your car what makes you happy.
Hard to argue there, but I think originality is much more important for a csi than say a US spec 74 3.0 CS automatic. If I were restoring this one, I would have made different choices, leaning more toward originality. But to each his own, I guess. And a I said, some choices were probably made by the customer--choices that leaned toward cost savings and expediency, rather than originality.
He did make some great choices when it came to paint and interior colors, which are outstanding.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score

@jefflit - Not sure the "Wow. Really?" was necessary here... I wasn't offering an opinion either way, reread what I asked. I was simply asking a question as to why someone would do that to a Euro '72 and replace with 200CS bumpers. With your long explanation my question is answered, thank you. I tucked my rear 2-1/2 mile bumpers on my '73 Bavaria for the reason you described and got rid of the heavy metal hoops significantly adding aesthetic value to me. I've just never heard of someone doing this, especially on a Euro car, so I was curious what the reason was. Thanks for the in depth explanation.

Last edited:

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@jefflit - Not sure the "Wow. Really?" was necessary here... I wasn't offering an opinion either way, reread what I asked. I was simply asking a question as to why someone would do that to a Euro '72 and replace with 200CS bumpers. With your long explanation my question is answered, thank you. I tucked my rear 2-1/2 mile bumpers on my '73 Bavaria for the reason you described and got rid of the heavy metal hoops significantly adding aesthetic value to me. I've just never heard of someone doing this, especially on a Euro car, so I was curious what the reason was. Thanks for the in depth explanation.

@GolfBavaria,

To answer your question without drama. While he wasn’t the pioneer, the 2000CS (rear) bumper trend was propelled into orbit by way of Christian Heine’s beautiful Schwarz CSI. He ditched the front bumper and added a clean 2000CS rear bumper. The wide coverage from stanceworks brought a lot of attention to the modification. The overall look of the car also influenced people like @scottevest, and Alex Steff with the highly polished BBS RS on Schwarz paint. It is another example of an e9 that got people buying the car, and others modifying theirs.

48A84B56-8B9D-42BB-88EA-0AA3C4875B42.jpeg

Here is the link to Alex’s article that you posted:

C4B62769-ACBC-4684-B15D-B0087E3187BE.jpeg

@scottevest and Benny’s other client
1684D070-8601-461F-AE98-93AD35FFEA03.jpeg