M30B34-Powered Euro 1973 BMW 3.0CSi 5-Speed

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi again, all. That’s my CSi. I’ve dropped a few hints here over the past couple of months as BaT has prepared the listing (and I’ve painfully, painstakingly tried to edit), and now it’s live. Which is weird. And bittersweet. If anyone here has questions, spots omissions or has comments that would be helpful for me to address, please let me know. I have a G-drive with ~400 photos that I’d be happy to share if you PM me. Most are in the BaT gallery.

The YouTube links embedded in the listing are here, if you want to play them directly:

This was not a fast or easy decision, and I sincerely want to thank this group for the past 10 years of resources, inspiration, humor, silly drama and general f***ing amazing problem-solving knowledge. Although I wasn’t as active as some of you, I followed and appreciated hundreds of posts you all made over the years. This forum is an international treasure.

I’ll see you all down the road. And if any of you in the Chicago/Milwaukee area (luis, autokunst, etc.) want to meet up one last time, I’ll be at the Fuelfed C&C in Winnetka on Sunday morning. I’ll be the one with all the cones around the car. No touching.

Best,
Andy

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I love the subtle grey and the wheels. You should do well with your honesty and transparency. What seems strange to me only is the MY 74 axial A/C compressor and rear mount 74 style shoulder belts. Good luck!

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
YOu have an awesome E9 and not much to fault on it. Bravo for taking the time to remove the rocker covers; bids will be higher because of that.

One question I have is the driver's rear floor pan; is that a undercoating line, or a weld line here:

1973_bmw_3-0csi_16217947851bc48cDSC_8970-scaled.jpg

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
YOu have an awesome E9 and not much to fault on it. Bravo for taking the time to remove the rocker covers; bids will be higher because of that.

One question I have is the driver's rear floor pan; is that a undercoating line, or a weld line here:

1973_bmw_3-0csi_16217947851bc48cDSC_8970-scaled.jpg
Whoa. That does look crazy. Never noticed before, but I just went to the garage to check. It's a split in the undercoating, from what I have no idea. I poked my fingernail into the crack and there's more undercoating underneath it, so maybe it just dried that way? Nothing metal-related. Thanks for the adrenaline this morning.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
I love the subtle grey and the wheels. You should do well with your honesty and transparency. What seems strange to me only is the MY 74 axial A/C compressor and rear mount 74 style shoulder belts. Good luck!
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for comments on the '74 items. I myself was blissfully unaware of the provenance of those, so hard to say where the Werk Shop found them. They have been functional, I will say.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whoa. That does look crazy. Never noticed before, but I just went to the garage to check. It's a split in the undercoating, from what I have no idea. I poked my fingernail into the crack and there's more undercoating underneath it, so maybe it just dried that way? Nothing metal-related. Thanks for the adrenaline this morning.
I assumed it was a scrape from running over a BAT nay-sayer, probably his belt buckle.
Nice presentation, honest, without pretense. As my late dad would have described it, "quite handsome". Love the Ascot...Polaris with some unique attitude. I know that you will do well with the auction.

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
I assumed it was a scrape from running over a BAT nay-sayer, probably his belt buckle.
Nice presentation, honest, without pretense. As my late dad would have described it, "quite handsome". Love the Ascot...Polaris with some unique attitude. I know that you will do well with the auction.
Well, I actually looked harder just now, without a car under the lift, so I could stand underneath the car with a flashlight. I now conclude it IS actually a scrape, but not THROUGH the undercoating, thankfully. It follows an odd path from front to back, inside the frame rail to the floor pan, so whatever caused it must have been narrow and taller than a belt buckle. But I like the way you think.

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
i think its a beautiful coupe that somebody is going to be very lucky to own and enjoy it. i hope it brings all the money you hope for (and more). i love the color ... one of the nicer grays from BMW and really brings out the shape of the e9

ablank135

Site Donor
Reaction score
Just in case speech isn’t free…

View attachment 123441
I teared up a little when I read that this morning...<sniff> Thanks for the underscoring of my own comment. I don't think anyone at BaT will object. FYI, in discussion with my auction "adviser," he also noted that they had been inconsistent on these displacements in the past, and added:

"Our auctions are ever-evolving and there are real humans behind BaT, so there will inevitably be inconsistencies and examples of listings we might have treated something different, but we make every effort to keep our text completely fact-based.

If you would like to add a note regarding the displacement in the comment section, you're more than welcome, but I imagine anybody looking at your lovely E9 will recognize the engine with the "M30B34" attached to the description."

So the compromise we reached, or that they insisted on, was calling out the displacement in to the ML rather than rounding down to 3.4, which was what they did originally in my listing. In the end, anyone actively bidding on this car will know what the engine is.

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
So the compromise we reached, or that they insisted on, was calling out the displacement in to the ML rather than rounding down to 3.4, which was what they did originally in my listing. In the end, anyone actively bidding on this car will know what the engine is.
Thanks. So strange that they have a concurrent listing for a 3.5L M1. I get that they can say there are mistakes of the past but both of these ads were being worked at the same time. It's not a people problem, it is a policy issue. They need to determine if they list displacement for all makes/models based on the true specs of the motor, the engine code, or the manufacturer's (and generally accepted) figure. When the next B35 is listed as 3.5L, that will affirm that they have done nothing to address your concerns.

At the end of the day it is a non-issue, but the feet dragging is what makes it annoying. Your car is fantastic and it shows!

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
really bummed that this beautiful coupe stalled out at 92.5k. i was expecting to go between 115 and 130k ... which still isn't big enough.

bmw2800cs

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Just crazy stuff - Crater's 2800cs for 75k, coupeking 2800cs got 150k, now this really nice 3.0csi gets 92.5. All exceptional cars. You'd think the 3.0csi would get more than the coupeking 2800cs. Maybe prices are down?