M30B35-Powered 1973 BMW Bavaria

shoobie33

Reaction score
Hello E9 Members,

Name here is Kevin Winn and I am the guy that bought Shane Cummings Golf Bavaria off BaT last summer. After several conversations with him I'm interested in going to injection on the M30B35 that is currently in the car as I think it will greatly improve the performance, efficiency, and the joy of driving it. Shane suggested that I start with a post here and see what the experts on the forum suggest as I just sold a car so I have some cake to work with.

Thanks in advance for all that can offer advice.

Kevin

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Kevin, welcome to the asylum! (Just kidding).

The easiest way to do this is to source an engine harness from an m30b35 engine as well as the injectors, 179 ecu, air flow meter, and throttle-body. You will also need the intake plenum from an earlier l-jet or d-jet car. This is just the beginning. You will also need the fuel rail and injector retainers from the l-jet car and a bunch of other stuff I can’t recall. This is the most turnkey plug and play reliable setup. Add a tuner chip and you’ll get 2.6 more hp. I think there’s a write up somewhere.

The other option is to
Do the same exact thing as mentioned above but instead of the 179 Bosch ecu you could go with a megasquirt ecu which will require programming/running. Again, great reliability; but it requires more hands on. This will maximize horsepower, hopefully.

Others will chime in with good advice.

Attachments

• 2FD3D907-AD14-42E8-A36B-EF3648C9FE7A.jpeg
    2FD3D907-AD14-42E8-A36B-EF3648C9FE7A.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 46

x_atlas0

Reaction score
Howdy!

You have several options of varying levels of complexity for going FI.

The easiest option, particularly since you already have a M30B35, is to put that FI system on the car. There's a few modifications that must be made, but for the most part it is a drop-in affair. You can use any B35 harness, although I think the ones from a 6-series (so 88 or 89) are regarded as the best option because the primary connector run is longer, making it easier to install the ECU wherever you like. I have had this system on my car for about 15 years and it has served me well. The vehicle has never failed to start or get going, even after sitting for a long time. The M1.3 system is somewhat limited, however, in terms of flexibility. If you plan to add some mods down the line, it won't let you get the full utility out of them without tunes, which are actual replacement chips inside the module.

The next level up in terms of difficulty would be the MegaSquirt PNP setups. Those plug into the M1.3 harness and require some small modifications at a minimum. You can go much more involved than stock with this system as well, incorporating individual spark control, wastegate control, EGT sensors, etc. These are optional, however.

Lastly, you could go full standalone, with a Motec, Haltec, or generic Megasquirt3 Pro setup. This will require a custom harness and sensor selection.

So how far do you want to go?

bdigel

Reaction score
Howdy!

You have several options of varying levels of complexity for going FI.

The easiest option, particularly since you already have a M30B35, is to put that FI system on the car. There's a few modifications that must be made, but for the most part it is a drop-in affair. You can use any B35 harness, although I think the ones from a 6-series (so 88 or 89) are regarded as the best option because the primary connector run is longer, making it easier to install the ECU wherever you like. I have had this system on my car for about 15 years and it has served me well. The vehicle has never failed to start or get going, even after sitting for a long time. The M1.3 system is somewhat limited, however, in terms of flexibility. If you plan to add some mods down the line, it won't let you get the full utility out of them without tunes, which are actual replacement chips inside the module.

The next level up in terms of difficulty would be the MegaSquirt PNP setups. Those plug into the M1.3 harness and require some small modifications at a minimum. You can go much more involved than stock with this system as well, incorporating individual spark control, wastegate control, EGT sensors, etc. These are optional, however.

Lastly, you could go full standalone, with a Motec, Haltec, or generic Megasquirt3 Pro setup. This will require a custom harness and sensor selection.

So how far do you want to go?
actually mega squirt has two options now that plug directly in to a b35 harness MS2 and now an MS3 pro no custum harness needed

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Welcome Kevin. You have a great e3. Here’s an old article from the very old “senior six” website on a Bosch Motronic conversion. Skip the first 10 paragraphs, as it covers a full engine swap, read from “Technical Stuff“ onward. You’ll get an idea of what electrical, fuel lines, and intake manifold hurdles you’ll have to deal with. No heavy lifting but it will take some time for a DIYer. There are more than a couple CA shops that could do it as well.
Good Luck!

shoobie33

Reaction score
Kevin, welcome to the asylum! (Just kidding).

The easiest way to do this is to source an engine harness from an m30b35 engine as well as the injectors, 179 ecu, air flow meter, and throttle-body. You will also need the intake plenum from an earlier l-jet or d-jet car. This is just the beginning. You will also need the fuel rail and injector retainers from the l-jet car and a bunch of other stuff I can’t recall. This is the most turnkey plug and play reliable setup. Add a tuner chip and you’ll get 2.6 more hp. I think there’s a write up somewhere.

The other option is to
Do the same exact thing as mentioned above but instead of the 179 Bosch ecu you could go with a megasquirt ecu which will require programming/running. Again, great reliability; but it requires more hands on. This will maximize horsepower, hopefully.

Others will chime in with good advice.
Thanks for the reply and any recommendations on a shop that can do the job?

I have amassed quite of number of cars over the years so I'm going to have it done by somebody else since I have many many small projects on my current list of "to do's" with all my other vehicles.

Also I spy my car in you pic too <:o)

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and any recommendations on a shop that can do the job?

I have amassed quite of number of cars over the years so I'm going to have it done by somebody else since I have many many small projects on my current list of "to do's" with all my other vehicles.

Also I spy my car in you pic too <:o)
You do! That’s my 3.3li in the lead at Laguna Seca on the 100 anniversary of BMW celebration. My car was being piloted by a Dutchman and his cohorts.

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i just don't understand it , why in god's name do you want such primitive injection ? My friend was restoring such car and had to search around the world to find the right injectors. :oops: Triple webers ? :D

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
less expensive , "new" "cheap" "proven" "available" parts and at least one get's it direct running ....then jetting as far and good as you want to spend time.
All rally cars used it for over 50 years....must mean something.