[M30B35] Triple weber 45 DCOE installation

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
So, in looking at the picture of your engine from the top, you are losing a lot of air flow in cylinder number 4 with the proximity of that air filter to the brake booster. That is probably having a big effect on your engine's performance. I was unable to find anything I liked with the stock booster in my car, and changed to a tii booster. Hard to find, but halboyles sells them here: https://www.2002sonly.com/product-page/m30-booster

Even then, you are pretty limited on air filters. Stevehose had a set of upward tilted air filter socks on his car, but those are no longer available. Daddywad in the UK sells an Alpina setup that is an alternative as the curved air horns allow air flow to be drawn from above the carbs. I have a set of replica Alfa Romeo GTA horns on my car, which are also angled upward.

Engine Bay.jpg

jc971

Reaction score
indeed the cylinder 4 is so close to the mastervac that I had to file the trumpet a little
the mastervac of 2002tii will solve several problems since my current mastervac does not work
I'll think about it in future me but it's expensive..

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
indeed the cylinder 4 is so close to the mastervac that I had to file the trumpet a little
the mastervac of 2002tii will solve several problems since my current mastervac does not work
I'll think about it in future me but it's expensive..
You can pull the horns and filters off for a test run to see if that helps your high rpm issue.

JFENG

Site Donor
Reaction score
you are losing a lot of air flow in cylinder number 4 with the proximity of that air filter to the brake booster
While not ideal, IMHO it doesn’t look bad enough to me to cause an engine to stop pulling above 5000 rpm. In my limited experience, if the engine quits pulling at 5000 rpm by getting rough and missing, it’s an ignition problem or it’s too lean. If it stops pulling but otherwise runs smoothly, it’s too rich and you need a bigger air corrector (try a 200).

People will say to read your plugs, but it’s not easy to find a place to run WOT at 5000rpm for very long. That means the color of the plugs may not fully reflect any AFM problem.

jc971

Reaction score
I think I will buy the 2002tii mastervac to solve the problem of lack of space and braking thank you for the seller's link
I have the impression that my engine is running rich because it smells strongly of gasoline at idle
it continues to go up in the revs beyond 5000 the thrust is no longer very strong
I will buy air correctors in 180 and 200 to test
what do you think of the f11 emulsion tubes that are on my carbs?

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I think I will buy the 2002tii mastervac to solve the problem of lack of space and braking thank you for the seller's link
I have the impression that my engine is running rich because it smells strongly of gasoline at idle
it continues to go up in the revs beyond 5000 the thrust is no longer very strong
I will buy air correctors in 180 and 200 to test
what do you think of the f11 emulsion tubes that are on my carbs?
If you don't have an AFR then do the old school spark plug cutout at 5500 rpm - shut the ignition off one notch and let off the gas simultaneously but don't turn the key all the way that the steering locks. Then pull some plugs and look for lean or rich. I've never really had much success with this though but it may indicate something extreme either way.

In my experience, buying jets to throw at a problem without any way to determine accurate results is a waste of money as things add up quickly. Have you checked your float levels?

Don't worry about the F11's for now, they are a normal tube for that carb.

The gas smell at idle is telling, but it may or may not explain what is happening at >5k rpm as these are different circuits.