Manual steering Box Rebuild

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
I picked up a manual steering box from Ian Pringle of this forum (good experience and very fair) and want to rebuild it this winter. If it's like the '02 box, rebuilding is a new paper gasket and some seals that according to RealOEM are no longer available. I can make a new paper gasket.

Anyone know an alternate seal manufacturer for 32111104719 32111110269?
Any alternatives to the bearings from BMW ($$$$$) 32112670135 32111114272

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST24&mospid=47245&btnr=32_1038&hg=32&fg=05
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST24&mospid=47245&btnr=32_1039&hg=32&fg=05
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST24&mospid=47245&btnr=32_1040&hg=32&fg=05
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=ST24&mospid=47245&btnr=32_1041&hg=32&fg=05

Luis A.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I was able to find all the seals elsewhere when I rebuilt the box on my 1800. Since the parts catalog doesn't list the sizes, you can see the size embossed on the seals and order off that wherever seals are sold. Can you see the sizes?

The bearings, you will have to measure with very accurate calipers. When some bearings on the box are replaced you may need to also re-shim with NLA shims. Do you *need* to replace the bearings?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Luis:

Thanks for the comments. Haven't started yet so can't answer about the markings. With the bearings, I wouldn't replace the bearing unless I could also replace the cups they run in so it may just be seals and gasket.

Doug

frogisland

Reaction score
Re the paper gaskets, are you refering to 4? If so, they're metal 'gaskets' of varying thickness. You can see one in this photo (there is actually 4 or 5 of them together). Act as shims for the top worm gear.

I replaced 1 and 6 on mine...plus the oil, looked and felt like it was decades old!

JP

Attachments

• Steering box gasket.jpg
    Steering box gasket.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 187

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
JP:

So you didn't worry about the NLA shims, "gaskets" or bearings? Just the seals?

Sounds good to me for a trial installation.

Thanks

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Bringing up an old thread but thought it was relevant for people searching for the title as I did. The manual ZF box in my LHD csl has quite a bit pf play in it. The adjustment doesnt seem to take up the slack. Has anyone had any luck with rebuilding these and making them tight again?

decoupe

(deceased)
Reaction score
Have you pulled the box apart and done a full service and reseal? Pretty much to only parts still available from BMW are the seals but it will help.

I've just started driving the car with the manual box from an e3 (not quick ratio) and am still incrementally winding down the adjustment screw to find to best balance of play and feel. Currently there is just a couple of degrees either side of centre with no binding or drag. I never drove with it in prior to rebuilding it so I can't say what the improvement is but the worm gear was packed with sludge. And it doesn't leak now.

Hope this helps.

Edit - I gave the screw an 1/8 further tightening and no play with no binding.

Last edited:

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
I contacted a company (I'm getting too old to recall the name) in Ca which does tons of 2002 rebuilds. They said they had not done an E3 in years but said "even if the boxes are different, they share many of the same parts as a 2002". I never checked but perhaps an option.

windnsea

Reaction score
One thing to check when rebuilding is to see if there is any pitting on the surface of the gears. If so, it is 'possible' to repair by arc welding, but you need to use a very 'hard' rod to fill the pits. Then the fun, carefully filing the excess to the original curvature. Will need a very hard file to do this.

I've done a few close ratio boxes this way an it is really a PITA, but gets the job done.

30csl

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, i didnt realise i had posted in the E3 section but thanks for the responses. The box seems in good shape but there is a bit of play between the input and output shafts. I have found a place in the Uk to tear it down and see what its like. Im fearful of adjusting the screw on the top.