Megasquirt Experience with M88 Engine/ Jeckyl and Hyde

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Did a drive around/ learning session, maybe 1 hour of time. Running good in a wide variety of driving conditions. I put it in the shop it with the prospect of dyno time in the future.

Two days later, crank and drive 3 miles to a friends shop and Dr. Hyde runs good.
Anxious to show off, I start the car and it stumbles so bad I was lucky to make it back to my shop. Dr. Jeckyl, I despise you.

Restart at my shop and Dr. Hyde is back, it runs good.

Put the car away and bang my head on a wall.

Get busy with other projects for a week. Crank it up today and Dr. Hyde is back. It runs goooooooood. Decide to drive it hone from work. I incorporate a stop at the grocery store, Dr. Hyde, I love you. It ran sharp.

Arrive at home and start it to take the wife for a drive. Dr. Jeckyl is back: stutters and stumbles and can barely get out of its way.

Any thoughts from those with Megasquirt experience?

Thanks in advance, Robert Patton

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will do. Thanks Don.

I'm the parts swapper/sand paper/ bearing grease dude. I'll get my guy to take a look this weekend as we are weekend kinda warriors.

Imagine dumb and dumber.... with good intentions.

RP

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Will do.

Running another session this weekend.

Thank you for the interest, and offer to help.

RP

x_atlas0

Reaction score
I'm used to doing this with INCA + MDA instead of Megasquirt, but I could take a look too if you want. It was part of my job at FCA a few years back.

Best data comparison thing is to do the same drive maneuver twice, once when it is fine, once when it is acting poorly.

m5bb

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get rid of MS and go with a modern engine management system, there are many out there now that can do this easily.
Easily tuned and installed without all the problems.
Eventually I will do this with my M5.
I know a local guy and you do too, you need to contact him.
He helped me and Alan.

Gary

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Get rid of MS and go with a modern engine management system, there are many out there now that can do this easily.
Easily tuned and installed without all the problems.
Eventually I will do this with my M5.
I know a local guy and you do too, you need to contact him.
He helped me and Alan.

Gary
Who is the “ local guy” you are referring to?

After success or lack thereof, I may be calling on Monday.

Thanks, Gary.

RP

Patton

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I'm used to doing this with INCA + MDA instead of Megasquirt, but I could take a look too if you want. It was part of my job at FCA a few years back.

Best data comparison thing is to do the same drive maneuver twice, once when it is fine, once when it is acting poorly.
Thanks Atlas, great support here on this board.

It should be running soon.
RP

ps, didn’t you used to live here in Atlanta?

02coastie

Site Donor
Reaction score
FWIW, I've been running Microsquirt (essentially MS2 in compact/sealed unit) on my '76 2002 for nearly ten years with no issues. The logs will certainly tell the story, but to me this sounds like a crank trigger sensor issue or other intermittent signal/wiring issue. Bottom line, once all the initial gremlins are worked out, I think they're as reliable as any other ecu.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
FYI, Dr. Jekyll is when he (it) is normal. Mr. Hyde is the alter-ego nutcase whacko.

Could be a loose ground somewhere.