Memorial Day

Mike Goble

Reaction score
As a Vietnam veteran I dwell on Memorial Day, and as I get older I dwell even more. I have constructed a memorial to two high school classmates of mine who were KIA over there, and I reflect often what a tragedy it was that these fine men didn't get to be a grandfather like me. I have also undertaken the task of researching and identifying the 22 men from the Fairfield/Vacaville area who also lost their lives over there. I put together this video in their honor and memory. Have an honorable and respectful Memorial Day.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks, Mike.

60,000 of our peers lost their lives for absolutely nothing. 100,000s of thousands will never be the same due to their involvement in that war. Many of those are on the streets and homeless camps with addictions trying to forget what they saw.

We are great at building bombs. We suck at taking care of people.

US Army 1969-1971.

dbower

Reaction score
Honored to take part in a fundraising procession yesterday for the family of a vet who died by suicide after returning home. Our country has never kept its commitments to returning vets, and we're not doing it now (in my opinion).

IMG_0154.jpeg

Norm!

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Thanks for the moving tribute Mike. My draft number was 301 out of 365 so I didn’t have to serve. For those too young to know, later in the war an annual birthdate draft lottery was instituted to make it more random selecting who would serve. I watched Ken Burns documentary on Vietnam and can’t imagine the fear and horror of jungle combat. I deeply respect all those who did serve and thought the treatment my peers who made it back just added to the tragedy. Please take, a silent moment tomorrow to remember all who were lost in every war.

Mot27cars

Site Donor
Reaction score
Thank You Mike......
I was moved deep inside watching your memorial tribute.....
Thank you for your service and for everyone here for theirs as well ......
Thank you for keeping their memories alive.....
May we all never forget......

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
We don't celebrate Memorial Day in Canada (Remembrance Day is Nov 11) , but I must thank you for your service as well. I have Great respect for those that served their country regardless of the Politics. Very Sad when you factor in the toll paid even after returning home.