Metric Mechanic feedback? (Happy thread I think)

Bwana

Reaction score
Has anybody used the Metric Mechanic for either engine or transmission work? I did a search and only came up with a couple of threads, the latest was in 2011 I think.

I'm considering going for the super-duper Getrag 265 conversion with the roller bearings and upgraded syncros. My car is both a hobby and a daily driver so spending $$$$ on stuff I don't need is expected :D . I talked to the guy at the shop (Jim?) and he's almost talked me out of it by simply using ATF as discussed in numerous other threads. So now I'm on the fence. I'm going to try the ATF this weekend.

My question stems from not getting a call back after several attempts. I call during "phone hours" and leave a message but only once did I get a call back. He suggested I needed a work order number before I shipped it along with a description of the work to be done. I always worry about this kind of lack of communication, will I ship the transmission off into a dark hole, never to be heard from again?

bluecoupe30!

Site Donor
Reaction score
yeah, we all feel that concern. don't do it. go local. find someone where you can observe and visit. need more research. we have all heard of MM but you need to find someone who has recent, positive experience, and go from there. They probably have great technicians, but how is the business run? Good luck!

Bavman

Reaction score
Tough part is there are very few people who can work on the 265, finding someone local? Good Luck. I have 4 friends who each have spent at least a week at MM seeing what went into their engines, and they (MM) really are not that far from you if you are in Texas. Jim can be hard to reach on the phone, but if you want the most experienced guy building your transmission keep trying.

Thanks

Al Taylor

m_thompson

Reaction score
In '83 I shipped my very noisy 4-speed to MM for a rebuild with the roller bearings and upgraded synchros. At the time a 5-speed would have cost more than I paid for the CS. They said that the case was damaged beyond repair, but they would give me a replacement from their spares. It was returned within a few weeks, and still works just fine. 34 years later it is still covered under the lifetime warranty.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have heard good things about MM and they have been around a long time. That said, they have not transitioned into the smart phone/internet/instant communications world. I suspect this is because the place is run by an older guy (or guys) and they aren't interested in answering texts and emails 24/7.

As Al said, I would try to get them on the phone.

Tony.dreamer

Raider of the lost parts
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have talked to Jim Row three times over last two years , his shop is in Richland Missouri. Each time we spoke 45 min up to 90 min. I would like to go see his operations and meet him. He has been working on BMW Engines for a long time. He seems very knowledgeable. He builds both engines for racing as well as day to day drives. His 5 speed 265 rebuild with his own design Syncros and other modifications are supposed to last for much longer that original. I have talked to some of his racing customers. Also if you reseach Metric Motors/ Jim Rowe , you will not find any bad review. On some of the cars I was concurring a purchase his build engine was portrayed as one of the best in the industry. Also From what he told me he has a small shop now and two or so employees. He usually calls back at the end of the day , if he doesn't call you on the same day he will call you on the next. That is my experience with him. I am considering to use his engine on my next build after I finish my current build! By then I should have a chance to meet him at his shop..

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
MM was way ahead of the curve on M30 engines and related components back in the day and it all still applies. They have a no-nonsense approach to building power with longevity and their old school suspension recommendations are worth reviewing.

J.B.

Site Donor
Reaction score
I have purchased engines, differentials, and cams from Metric Mechanic going back over 20 years. All my experiences have been quite positive. Jim has always been very responsive to my questions and their products are all first class.

inovermyhead

Reaction score
I have spoken to Jim a couple of times when I can get the time right, seems to be a nice guy and is certainly very knowledgeable on the m30 and how to build a good motor, I would suspect that the gearboxes would be good too.

Although it's a while off, I will use his kits part to rebuild a stronger motor in my car when the time comes, even with the added expense with shipping and taxes i figure half an hour on the phone will get me exactly what I need and the knowledge to put together again.

Has any one used one of his cylinder heads with the claimed 18% improvement in flow ?

Cheers. John

E911

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I can't believe they don't flow about that much better, the original design leaves a lot to be desired but the improvement is capped without major changes to the port angles, ect...

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
The car I bought 2 years ago had the power plant rebuilt from a 3.5 block and upgraded to 3.8+ with Motronic FI, and a completely rebuilt 265/6 five speed OD trans installed in the early 90's by Metric Mechanic. For a variety of reasons I've only driven the car ~1K miles since purchase, but every time I drive it I'm VERY HAPPY with the performance.

Shortly after purchase, I called their shop/office with several questions. The owner got on the phone with me and was very pleasant and willing to answer any and all questions. When I named the owner for whom he'd done the work, he remembered the car and owner well. Actually spent about 5 minutes just talking about his great experiences with him as a customer.

That's the extent of my experience, but I'd certainly not hesitate to put an e9 in his hands for improved performance.

Gary