Misc Parts

Bennett

Site Donor
Reaction score
Now that I've taken the plunge on an E3 to add to my coupe, I have a few questions on interior parts and mechanicals.

For parts, I'm wondering if anyone determined if the sun visors from one of the other BMW models are interchangeable? The NLA status of the left side visor makes purchasing a brand new right side visor a little less than satisfying. The job is still not done.

Also - does anyone have any secrets on getting the 3 speed auto to perform at its best? I'm going to keep it auto for the time being and just wanted to see what a 40 year knowledge base may have concluded.

Otherwise I'm going with a pretty standard suspension set up and determining the color. The car has a very good black vinyl interior. Factory paint was baikal with a poor respray. My coupe is polaris so I want somethng different. I'm thinking ceylon as it looks so good when freshly applied.

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
The transmission takes TYPE F fluid and I would bet that is not what is in yours. If yours slips or jerks between gears, this is why.

I upgraded to Bilsteins front and back and a massive difference. Also, many did not come with a rear sway bar, and if not, get one. All the fittings are already there. I just went stock from dealer for 95 bucks and it made a big difference.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Our 2800 has a rear bar and no front bar which was standard in those days. I may have a spare rear bar, it's the same as NK and e12.

aball

Reaction score
The BW T65 is actually pretty tough. I've been dealing with mine for 20 years now. You do need Type F fluid as stated, and the secret to making it work well is proper adjustment of the throttle cable. Under the hood, near the steering column, you adjust the trapped bolt on the cable to change the shift points of the transmission. Be warned that it does not take much screwing in or out to make a difference. Fine tuning it just a matter of 1 or 2 turns one way or the other. 'In' makes it hold gears longer and 'out' makes it shift smoother. Feel free to ask me any other questions. I'm happy to see another T65 survivor.