missing Auto-Transmission's "expansion tank"

mosearch

Reaction score
Can't find my "expansion tank" shown on the attached Realoem diagram? I found a hose and tee in my engine bay that were not connected...and I want to restore that connection before any real damage is done...but so far I can't find a spare #2 hose...or t he actual #9 exp. tank...Does anyone ouyt there with an Auto-trans have a photo of that expansion tank installed? SFDon very helpfully described it as "a Small kidney shaped item at firewall on exhaust side"...but I see no traces of it in that location on my car...and the hose-routing for the dipstick overflow tube (#2) is also kind of mysterious. Any clues will be much appreciated.

tran.exp.tank.jpg

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
You know you need one if keep getting atf fluid running straight down to your exhaust.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
IMG_0382.JPG

I think that was added in 1974. Don't trust RealOEM when it comes to dates.
Here ya go. Mounted on the passenger side strut tower.

I agree with Chris. I've converted a 74 e9 & a 74 e3 from auto to manual. They both had the "tank" mounted there. I think they were on cars with Borg Warner automatics. The 72 e9 I owned 20 years ago had a ZF auto and no "tank"
I did not save the parts after I did the conversion.

Hope this helps.

John

mosearch

Reaction score
My 72 has a BW65 (Borg Warner )...and the part #3 distribution tee...and a hose disappearing under the car near the bell housing. Plus it comes up in realoem with August 72 search parameters ...so I kind of think it was there and someone discarded it ...All that said; I'm still not convinced it has a
lot of critical function besides preventing overfills from dripping all over my garage floor.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
RealOEM will show a part for a 74 fitting all prior years even if it wasn't originally on those years.

The Orange Parts Book confirms these were added to the USA Model 74 coupes (rest of world was called a Model 73).

dp

Site Donor
Reaction score
Think of it as a catch can, if your AT dipstick tube has a(n overflow) nipple at the top, you can decide if you want/need that (overflow) expansion tank.
Another name for this is a puke can, if you don't want to clean up your garage floor or driveway from your AT puking tranny fluid, then put one on there.

Joe Barthlow

Reaction score
if I'm not mistaken, my expansion tank is in the rear fender, on the other side of the passenger side wall of the trunk. Mine is '76 3.0si automatic