Molding and Trim

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Speedway did a great job of removing some deep scratches on a couple of my parts
If your parts are in great condition you could probably do this yourself or 'locally' if you can find someone competent in Cerakote
I have read oven cleaner works to remove anodizing but I have not tried it yet
it works I tried BBQ cleaner removes anodize and you have clean aluminum and you can polish but the shine goes away quick every mount you have to polish to have a shiny molding

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I don't think there is any tin involved in anodizing, well actually sure of that
On polished aluminum getting dull after some time, that is what we are telling you, have it clear ceramic coated, not clear paint, not clear powder coat
The 'big' brand name in ceramic coating (for this type of stuff) is Cerakote

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
that 'King of Trim' does look like they know what they are doing, I might get a quote

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
We are currently doing about 10 cars of trim with a crew - no chromatic anodizing. Polish has been best for us.

Attachments

• 97658B0F-0436-4514-8E72-7FD51077EC34.jpeg
    97658B0F-0436-4514-8E72-7FD51077EC34.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 90E94DB0-E1A3-4456-BDAF-D3C241E76DAE.jpeg
    90E94DB0-E1A3-4456-BDAF-D3C241E76DAE.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 123
  • B81C792B-B480-45C0-A550-B5206B720C43.jpeg
    B81C792B-B480-45C0-A550-B5206B720C43.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 122

Candia4441

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I don't think there is any tin involved in anodizing, well actually sure of that
On polished aluminum getting dull after some time, that is what we are telling you, have it clear ceramic coated, not clear paint, not clear powder coat
The 'big' brand name in ceramic coating (for this type of stuff) is Cerakote
thank you so much

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
sorry it was miss spell

they are very expensive there price is high
I have some motorcycle rims that were originally anodized, but not bright like BMW trim, I want to see if they can replicate that
If they were shinny I would just polish them

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
thank you so much
Cerakote is incredibly tough, hard to remove, and it doesn't look like clear paint, does not really change the look of the aluminum in any noticeable way
You want to find a place that knows how to do it properly, I had a certified place do my valve cover and they got a run in it

eriknetherlands

Site Donor
Reaction score
Not sure have you are having them do, the aluminum parts should not be chromed, for instance, the part between the tail lights is polished aluminum, (unless you have a very early car, maybe a 200CS), don't chrome these aluminum parts
I doubt that the alu part between the tail light is just polished. The 3 alu parts i've seen were definitly anodized. This is appearent due to the crazing that occurs when anodized parts are bent. All the of the parts had some dents, and all 3 had these noticeble crazing.

Erik

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
I doubt that the alu part between the tail light is just polished. The 3 alu parts i've seen were definitly anodized. This is appearent due to the crazing that occurs when anodized parts are bent. All the of the parts had some dents, and all 3 had these noticeble crazing.

Erik
Right I meant polished vs. chromed, so originally polished and anodized, my car polished and ceramic coated

nosmonkey

In Rust We Trust
Site Donor
Reaction score
De anodised, polished then sealed with a high quality alloy sealant would also work.

coupesport

Newish Member
Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have read oven cleaner works to remove anodizing but I have not tried it yet
West Coast Customs has a Youtube video where he uses Easy-off oven cleaner. Lye is the acid ingredient that remove the anodized surface and from what I've read you can go with Lye and water solution mixed at home or with Draino or Easyoff.... Easy-off is on the lighter side so that is why I went that route.