Monterey Car Week!

DavidE9

Reaction score
Hello all!

Let's talk car week! I have been in 2016 and was completely blown away! This year I plan on returning and would like to do so in my E9. It's a bit of a journey for me. Likely 2,500-3,000km one way so I am curious if there was any events that can't be missed. My plans definitely include going to the Rolex reunion, legends of autobahn, Werks reunion and the small car show. Any e9 gatherings or cruises? Any cool museums or places to check out while in the area? I'm coming from Alberta, Canada and will be taking the coastal route on the way down. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks!

AfS3nVAh.jpg

craterface

Site Donor
Reaction score
I'll be there with my 1973 CSL, Fjord Blue, looking much like you car but no front bumper. I entered it in the Quail on Friday and was accepted, so I am doing that, but you may see it cruising around Pacific Grove or elsewhere! Bringing my 17 year old son for some father/son bonding and quality car time. Like most kids these days, he's not into cars very much, but I am slowly drawing him into the fold!
Scott

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
If you get down there early enough, the Carmel-by-the-Sea concourse is a very nice event. (https://www.carmelconcours.com/carmel-by-the-sea.html). I've displayed my car there twice.

And, if you fit in with the jet set, you might want to consider the McCall's Motorworks Revival, which is typically held on Wed evening (https://mccallevents.com/pages/copy-of-mccalls-motorworks-revival-2019):

Jet Set I.jpg

I'm actually not jet set material myself, but Gordon McCall wanted a dozen e9s displayed along the tarmac for his guests, so a few of us peons managed to get in one year. That Gulfstream parked behind my car was a demonstrator, which I only know because Peter spent a fair bit of time discussing the details of this particular jet with Miss New Mexico, who was part of the sales force.

jmackro

Reaction score
Any cool museums or places to check out while in the area?

I can't think of any museums right in the Monterey area, but The Wings of History Air Museum, located in San Martin a few miles north of Monterey, is worth a visit on your way down or back. This is an old-timey, small museum operated by enthusiastic volunteers. Even if you aren't an airplane enthusiast (I'm not), any gearhead will enjoy it. The vibe there is completely different from the McCall Revival and Pebble Beach! See: https://www.wingsofhistory.org/

DavidE9

Reaction score
Thanks! This is awesome info! I am definitely into planes, although my knowledge is limited. Carmel by the sea looks like a great event too!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
@DavidE9,

The Monterrey Bay aquarium is one of the top rated aquariums in the US. Also, if you like Sea Otters you can see them hanging out in the water outside.

mark99

Site Donor
Reaction score
If you are driving through WA, a couple very good aircraft museums, one in Everett, one in Seattle
And a good car museum in Tacoma
Another good aircraft museum near Portland OR, ‘Spruce Goose’ located there

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
You mean the Tuesday concours on the streets of Carmel? Yes, that's a "must do". Just get there early; parking around Carmel becomes impossible later in the day.

Yes. That was the event I was referencing. Here's Doug Dolan with Peter Coomaraswamy standing behind Doug's car, and me being chastised by one of the locals for having a "big gulp" cup holder in my car to hold a bottle of water. Wayne had signed up, but had technical difficulties -- which Macha fixed in 15 minutes once he obtained the proper part -- and couldn't make it:

CarmelByTheSea Concours.jpg

I think Andrew will have Athena on display there this year.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yes, Athena will be in Carmel on Tuesday for Concours on the Avenue. My wife Cindy will be there too.

Will walk to The Little Car Show in Pacific Grove. Wednesday.

Will see the Tour d’Elegance in Carmel, we are not attending Pebble Beach this year

Friday is Legends. Athena is completing in the Coupe Class.

We will be at the BMW CCA tent Saturday at Laguna Seca

Always a good time with friends.

Last edited:

TodB

Reaction score
If you get down there early enough, the Carmel-by-the-Sea concourse is a very nice event. (https://www.carmelconcours.com/carmel-by-the-sea.html). I've displayed my car there twice.

And, if you fit in with the jet set, you might want to consider the McCall's Motorworks Revival, which is typically held on Wed evening (https://mccallevents.com/pages/copy-of-mccalls-motorworks-revival-2019):

View attachment 68197

I'm actually not jet set material myself, but Gordon McCall wanted a dozen e9s displayed along the tarmac for his guests, so a few of us peons managed to get in one year. That Gulfstream parked behind my car was a demonstrator, which I only know because Peter spent a fair bit of time discussing the details of this particular jet with Miss New Mexico, who was part of the sales force.
That was miss Mexico (not new). A well spoken lass.