Monterey or bust

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug is 2 hours behind us in Fallon Nevada on Route 40. His car is on the road. He should catch up to us in Sonoma.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
Doug is 2 hours behind us in Fallon Nevada on Route 40. His car is on the road. He should catch up to us in Sonoma.

Are you guys on Route 40 or Route 50? I follow 40 up until Salt Lake City and then lose it.

BTW, a fun fact... Major highways going east and west use even numbers and north and south use odd numbers. My contribution for the day.

Last edited:

shanon

Reaction score
Fyi-coupers
Hwy is basically closed from Carmel to Cambria due to big sur fire.
Plan accordingly.

End transmision....

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Finally washed Athena after 3,536 miles. notice the stone chops on the air dam...damn. Glad I brought touch up paint.
IMG_2185 copy.jpg
IMG_2187 copy.jpg

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Road weary but not "busted". I could not keep up with the group when we got to the mountain terrain. The car would run fine and fast on the level sections but once I hit an incline it would bog down and eventually stall. It appeared to be an electronic problem so one by one each time I stalled I replaced the points, condenser, rotor, cap, plugs, fuel filter. Each time it would a little better for a while and then stall out again. It became obvious that it was not any of the components being replaced but just the time it took cooled things off a bit. The problem in Utah was that since I had been starting the car so often, the ignition broke. It was getting dark and I was on a 2 lane road without any shoulder and trucks whizzing by so I called for a flat bed and got towed to the nearby hotel in Green River, Utah. The next morning I removed the cover on the underside of the steering column and pull down the ignition so that I could start it a screw driver. Continued westward taking forever to make it up the seemly never ending series of mountains along Route 50 in Nevada. It took about 10 hours to make it halfway and I called it a day. Left the next morning at 3:00am for cooler conditions but the symptoms remained chugging along until finally after descending down a steep narrow serpentine section of road, the car suddenly ran fine and I could maintain speed at load going up the steepest sections. The quick back and forth must have loosened something that was stuck, cleared something that was clogged, or maybe corrected a loose wire that was grounding out.

Below are some pics from a gathering at Jim Smiths home here in Sonoma yesterday.
IMG_1665.JPG
IMG_1681.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
Mission accomplished, just checked into the hotel in Monterey! Opened a bottle of scotch and will now relax and enjoy the festivities. Below are some pics at the Golden Gate Bridge this morning. Even with the unplanned adventures this has been a great experience and have met some wonderful people with even more forum members yet to meet this weekend.
IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1686.JPG
IMG_1690.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG

Bmachine

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Doug, what an insane story. There has to be be a medal for Most Tenacious Couper in the US. And you're it!!!
Respect, my friend. Utmost respect!

Now this goes on top of what all of you in the east coasters group just did. Props to all of you guys! You all exemplify the true spirit of the Coupe! Thank you for sharing this amazing adventure with all of us.

kwyjibo

Site Donor
Reaction score
Glad to read that you made it! If anyone shouldn't have to buy their own drinks for the week, it is you.

dang

Administrator
Site Donor
Reaction score
And.... its 100 degrees just an hour inland. :) I'm am sooooo looking forward to the cool whether the next three days...

Stevehose

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
+1 to what these gentlemen said

Glad to read that you made it! If anyone shouldn't have to buy their own drinks for the week, it is you.

Doug, what an insane story. There has to be be a medal for Most Tenacious Couper in the US. And you're it!!!
Respect, my friend. Utmost respect!

Now this goes on top of what all of you in the east coasters group just did. Props to all of you guys! You all exemplify the true spirit of the Coupe! Thank you for sharing this amazing adventure with all of us.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I just saw Andrew pass my house. I'm on the corner of Congress and Sunset.

Yes it probably was me. Met a friend who came up from LA to visit and her hotel and the place we ate is on Sunset.

What a day! Led the merry travelers through wine country down 101, caught up with Dirk in the 328, passed and pulled in front. Cindy was taking pictures. Will update when I get the pictures. Had an impromptu car show on the lower promenade just off the Presidio, the GGB in fog. Left as the cops arrived to break it up.

I broke from the tour and dropped Cindy in San Fran at her hotel. Then high tailed it to Santa Cruz to have lunch at the Board Walk. Then high tailed to the hotel arriving at 3:11. Room was ready at 5. We have arrived!

Attachments

• IMG_2196.jpg
    IMG_2196.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2203.jpg
    IMG_2203.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2215 copy.jpg
    IMG_2215 copy.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 109

DWMBMW

Site Donor
Reaction score
It was great meeting you up there Doug!

I'm happy to see your car will have a pretty illustrious travel companion to trade war stories with on its way home.

Bo

Bo,

Great meeting you also. You posted some of the best pics and vids from the weekend.

Thanks,

Doug