Muffler questions

nealf

Reaction score
Hi all: What are people using to replace a stock exhaust system? Specifically, I have a hole in my muffler. Where is a good source for an OEM muffler that won’t break the bank? Thanks. 1970 2800 CS

nealf

Reaction score
Hi I think that’s overkill for my car I guess what I wanted to ask specifically is I need to replace the muffler where do I source a muffler?

bavbob

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is a long shot but call Bosal. They have not made them for years but perhaps there is one on a shelf somewhere.

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
BMW of Lancaster‘s parts site has them for $389. I’d call them first to confirm availability. I’m guessing if available it may have to come from Germany. I ordered oddball parts from them in the past with no issues. I do recall some having shipped from Germany. I’ll be needing the center exhaust pieces soon, they seem to be easier to find.
Good Luck!

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
With the abundance of mufflers and resonators on the coupe, has anyone just eliminated the rear muffler? The 6 makes a lovely noise. Anyone done this?

JMinPDX

Site Donor
Site Donor $
Reaction score
With the abundance of mufflers and resonators on the coupe, has anyone just eliminated the rear muffler? The 6 makes a lovely noise. Anyone done this?
When I bought a center resonator from Carl Nelson for my first coupe in the mid 90s he recommended eliminating the smaller middle muffler. It was good advise. Car had a nice rumble but not loud at all. Funny thing my current coupe had the middle muffler removed when I got it. Don’t think you can eliminate the rear muffler entirely without loud results.

Honolulu

Reaction score
I'd expect a "competent" exhaust shop could put something together from this 'n that, which would look very much like what it ought. Sound level selectable by owner. Mufflers aren't rocket science... cut your old holey one open and have the shop replicate it.

shanon

Reaction score
+1 for whar Honolulu said.

I had an older 'competent' shop put my sytem together. Middle muffler deleted, simple cherry type bomb w a center resonator. Not loud, sounds nice n healthy

Have a side exhaust option setup where i can delete the last muffler keeping center resonator with a side stinger. Sounds bitchen but too loud for regular use. It's my track day option.

Older shops may have interesting bits in the attic, and the old timers like old cars.

Good luck!

Storage Andy

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hi all: What are people using to replace a stock exhaust system? Specifically, I have a hole in my muffler. Where is a good source for an OEM muffler that won’t break the bank? Thanks. 1970 2800 CS
Neal..I have a 74 CS that I actually found an OE replacement for the muffler last year. I know that it came out of Germany, but I ordered it on line in the US. I looked through my email and can't find where I ordered it. It did take me a while to find it and if I remember correctly it was around $400. I'll look at the shop this week and see if it's in my folders up there.

aearch

Site Donor $
Reaction score
if you dont mind not being oem
just go to any muffler shop and install a generic set up
unless you going to a concouse which even then
any good muffler is perfectly fine and save a ton of money
as i did

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 87