My 1971 CS might be dead. I mean, really dead.

plexus

Reaction score
Hey. So the cops found the car. The guy had it all this time at a new shop. But, to recap, he did move it without my knowledge to a place he wouldn't tell me where it was nor let me see it. Hence the police involvement. They have charged him with theft and it will proceed to court. What an idiot. All he had to do was let me see it and he, and I, would be better off. Anyway....

I don't want the car. I'm done. The car is going to be towed to a lot in Niagara Falls - that was the only place I could find for it at the last minute. The cops required me to find a tow company and a place to put it within 2 hours. There is just no place in Toronto less than $300/mo for storage. So, its going to an outside lot in Niagara Falls. I will go down there soon to treat the body with a rust preventative and to tarp it up.

I will put it up for sale on this site. According to the cop its basically in the condition shown in the pictures in this thread https://e9coupe.com/forum/threads/m...d-i-mean-really-dead.27860/page-2#post-215944.

It had been outdoors for some period of time - the cop said the bare metal areas have some surface rust but it doesn't look bad. So use those picstures as a guide. I will get current pictures next week when I prep the car.

I am not looking for anything much. Whatever - you make me an offer. I am not going to part it out at this time so it's as-is as-it-stands. Also, I am not going to go down to Niagara every time someone wants to see it so you'll have to go based on the pictures. Sorry. Otherwise I will pull parts off it and scrap the rest.

Anyway thats the update. Once I see the car I will know better and have the pictures and I'll likely shoot video as well. If its worth selling, I will post it up on the site with links etc.

Last edited:

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Whole situation sux.

Red flag should have been been the fact that he just masked the trim rather than removing them

plexus

Reaction score
Whole situation sux.
Red flag should have been been the fact that he just masked the trim rather than removing them

He had his new assistant mask those but then he decided they should be removed. When I was taking these shots he showed me how he'd have to remove interio and panels to get at the clips and that was ultimately his intention. So that red flag was addressed at the time. alas.

plexus

Reaction score
The car has been secured but I have not seen the car yet. Likely this week, I am hoping, I can go down and see it. I will take a lot of pictures and then prep the car to sit until I can sell it. The guy has been charged with theft. At this point I don't feel I want to carry on with the car so hopefully I cna find someone who wants to finish the restoration or use it for parts. another good CS is pretty much dead. it was such a good car with a really interesting european history. alas.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
keep hope alive. It's possible it's not in as bad a shape as you may think it is. Could be just very minor surface rust on it.

plexus

Reaction score
One I put it up for sale I will ask for "best offers" because it's going to be worth different amounts to different people.

There is a body shop guy at the shop its partked at and I will ask him for an assessment but frankly, I am more inclined to be done with this. I don't want to take the risk of another restoration attempt with someone I don't know from adam. So my loss, your gain.

mulberryworks

Mr. Fixity
Site Donor
Reaction score
A fair amount of the value is how much of the interior is there and it's condition. The mechanical aspect is fairly easy to remedy, engine, brakes etc. The interior is more difficult and expensive to restore. Of course, fixing rust and paint is not a small part of the restoration, so the amount remaining to do on the body is the other big part.

A 'body shop guy' may not have any E9 experience and may not be able to give you an accurate estimate of the remaining value. Certainly, he won't know the desirability and value of the remaining parts. Once you have photos, you should be able to get some good advice from forum members on what you have.

Ohmess

I wanna DRIVE!
Site Donor $
Reaction score
People often amaze me. What did this guy think he was going to do with the car?

I can understand your desire to put an end to this process. As to sales price, I suggest you post a bunch of pictures here. My experience is that the forum guys are very good at estimating the value of these cars.

plexus

Reaction score
I went to see the car. It's not as bad as I thought. it really is just surface rust where the bare metal is. the car has been stripped but all the parts are there. the interior looks the same as it did when i gave it to him. that was good too. my dad and I put everything out so I could take pictures of everything and the car so I can put it up for sale. I really think it would make a great donar car and it could even be restored with the rust attended to and the body repaired and prepped. Anyway, its too much for me to get into so I will put the car up for sale and take offers - everyone is going to have a different idea of what it would be worth to them. I really just dont want to crush the car - that would be a crying shame. And I dont have it in me to have the restoration finished. and I likely can't afford it.

It was really annoying because it started to snow just as I started taking pictures of it. So the pictures have snow in them and on the car. Nothing I could do about it. The car is quite far away from where I live so I had to take the pictures at that time. Then we tarped up the car.

I'll post it here once I have gone through the picutres. What a crying shame. I wish I had garaage I could park it in and do the work myself. at least all the body work and then get it painted. but I dont.... so... my loss your gain.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
Ya, way too solid looking to part out and crush .

Save up your money after the sale for one needing nothing so you can enjoy it!

plexus

Reaction score
Ya, way too solid looking to part out and crush .

Save up your money after the sale for one needing nothing so you can enjoy it!

Yeah... good plan. CSs are such nice cars. Hopefully I can sell it to someone who will bring it back to life.