My 72 CS

jcat

Reaction score
I've been a member for a long time but never posted before. I've owned multiple coupes and finished my latest restoration of my 72 CS (well almost finished)
Due to the death grip of old man winter, I haven't been able to do much lately but last weekend I uncovered the car and fired her up.
I thought if any of you west coasters or southerners were feeling depressed, the sub zero snowy view out my garage would cheer you up...

22c488d267282a2b4a9c77a901ef8333.jpg

0c47770bb3a8d0cd265f3ab7b6a67d86.jpg

112f8a97cf6f4abd080e63dcb36ccc4e.jpg

jcat

Reaction score
Thanks! I will get my picts organized and post. This coupe was quite rust free for a coupe but I still had to replace the front fenders and repair the usual areas.
I just have a few interior details to finish and I will be done. I recently picked up a complete set of new triple Dellorto side draft carbs (DHLA 45's) that I am thinking about installing but I only have a stock 3.0 engine(crate find) and am really not prepared to dump a bunch of cash into other upgrades. I am currently running dual webers that give me no trouble at all but the sound of triples is too tempting.

jcat

Reaction score
I found some other picts so I thought I would share.
3c436d72bb2e9812df2277a402ff3ddb.jpg

Winter wonderland.
78d227863fbfd871b5206df4022b6c91.jpg

I had a small crack on the diff mount area so I had that fixed.
I spent about a week scraping off the "Georgia red" dirt of the underbody. That was not pleasant...
10ad2c9b7564cf90f4cdf8c39ee37e59.jpg

fbaa569e06a08c18d9a242edb743ec76.jpg

This car had a cheesy sunroof cut in by the original owner. I bought this roof skin from the coupe king and glued it in.
d7f5e0bc669d2260e7459ae56a15b051.jpg

I have some good picts of this hiding. I will post them when I find them.
18d87f8647704f5402520482e8f02b28.jpg

I had all the rockers cut out and replaced with new rockers.
b4c3317eb4cd9a0d46b50fa33d9e5ad1.jpg

I had one small area in the drivers side floor pan that needed to be replaced.
53ddd6bf45859bf9f4c39e950e3818f7.jpg

New headliner. I did not enjoy this process. It was tedious as hell but it came out great.
50546e9cb071016f9a1b24b5fe7ab2a4.jpg

Redoing the wood was my favorite. I have done 3 or 4 dashes now.

c88fe6f58c4d54b3007f2a1bf2fc9eb5.jpg

a65120b922fb98a323943d2c7424ecc9.jpg

I must have added a hundred pounds of dynamat. I even put some under the roof panel.
162adb183a980b7195dcbf96b2b2ee63.jpg

I also like the vintage bikes. This 66 R60/2 I finished 2 years ago and this spring I will rebuild his twin brother.

lip277

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Very very very nice.

Great to see the in-process pictures.

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Good stuff

BTW--i survived 11 years in Detroit long ago but the snow and ice in your driveway pictures brought back memories of the same--and driving through salt brine on the streets of Detroit to and from wherever one was going with temparatures hovering around Zero Fahrenheit.

FYI--the next time you are faced with Georgia red dirt on the Coupes under-carriage just drop it off with me and in about 1 1/2 hours it will be clean as a pin--we still have undercarriage steam and power wash cleaning available nearby--about 1 1/2 miles away for about $100--what again was the number of hours you spent at that awful task???

You must be very popular in Detroit what with your passion for classic 2 & 4 wheeled BMW Classics. Remind me some day to tell you the story of the first ride I had in a BMW in Detroit in 1958 (wow, thats not a mis-print) 51 years ago!!--while living/survivng there.

From an old timer at Coupe ownership and caretaking--your work looks great! With the background you have with Coupes--It makes one wonder just how many of you are still out there lurking on the fringes of the E-9 coupe message board and finally admitting that you have been spying on this site for some time--without contributing--hhhmmmm?

Welcome board and stick around-suspect you can share some helpful tips due to your depth of experience in rescuing the breed!!

jcat

Reaction score
Thanks for the words of encouragement. Detroit is a bit of a dirty word these days. I would love to hear your story. I have been out here for about 12 years. Before I moved here, I lived in Salt Lake. I still miss my mountains! I have to get my "mountain fix" when I travel to Japan and Europe for work. My company has two plants in Stockton CA so I hang in San Fran 3 or 4 times a year too.
There are two coupesters in this area that drive regularly and 4 or 5 others that I see from time to time. I must say we get major attention at the Woodward Dream Cruise every year but for sure the muscle car rules out here. Every other garage has something classic lurking inside. With the economy the way it is, I'm sure their will be many gems up for sale soon.
I must admit I have been lurking around on the forum since the beginning. I am very impressed with the knowledge of everyone. On my first coupe, I learned almost everything the hard way. Now, thanks to everyone and their contributions, It is a lot easier to build our dream cars.

RogerB

Reaction score
[quote......................I thought if any of you west coasters or southerners were feeling depressed, the sub zero snowy view out my garage would cheer you up...

The 72 degrees and sunny here in Madison, GA is what really cheers me up, but your nice CS doesn't depress me though ! {;>) I may take the L out today.

72 Golf CSL
74 R90/6

KirkT

Site Donor
Reaction score
Hey jcat,

I'm detroit area as well. It'll be nice to see another E9 on the road (of course I took mine off the road so I can get my exhaust and clutch fixed). :)

Laldog

Site Donor
Reaction score
DynaMat

Someday soon I hope to soundproof and heat proof my interior, if the weather here in Boston ever allows me to.

I've been looking into Dynamat and similar products. Can you tell me why you picked that particular product??

Thanks in advance.

jcat

Reaction score
I chose Dynamat because I got it basically for free. I work in the automotive OE manufacturing business and the Japanese company that manufactures for Dynamat is just around the corner. Auto companies have been using it for quite a few years now although only small amounts in strategic locations for sound dampening mostly. Larger area sound dampening is best achieved with a foam like spray. (My company produces it for Toyota) but for the diy'er dynamat or similar branded product seems to me to be the best choice.
I used a heat barrier by Dynamat for the tunnel area and it also works well. It has a lead sheet in between two foam type sheets.

jcat

Reaction score
I used 6 stainless fasteners with neoprene washers. Four in the front and one on each side in front of the fender. I can't remember but I think I copied the fastener layout off of a CSL.

jcat

Reaction score
I finally mounted my Alpina wheels after staring at them for a couple of years.
I have been driving the car a lot lately now that the permafrost lifted in Michigan. I guess I will have about 2 months before it freezes again.
side.JPG

jcat

Reaction score
I finally mounted my Alpina wheels after staring at them for a couple of years.
I have been driving the car a lot lately now that the permafrost lifted in Michigan. I guess I will have about 2 months before it freezes again.
side.JPG