My BMW CSL-Restoration-projekt, first pics......

jhjacobs

Reaction score
PV, I doubt anyone will dispute your point that to obtain the maximum possible resell value that the original color should be used; however, there are two very big points you are missing:

1. You are assuming Gunter (and others) are doing this to create "value" which implies selling it. I seriously doubt this is the case. He plans to drive this car and enjoy it.
2. This car had little value when he started and he is bringing back from a certain death. He is to be applauded for his effort even if he paints it Kermit green. I only hope I get to visit him again someday and go for a ride in his wonderful car.

The true value is, as Shanon said, "whatever puts the biggest grin on your face when you open the garage."

How do you feel about Antar putting a 3.5 in his 3.0? Not original!? Cams, 5 speed upgrades, weber conversions, seat upgrades, lowering kits, etc, they are all "improvements" many of us make that detract from the "purest" restoration and thus, surely have a negative impact on our cars resell value. Then again, my coupe is not for sale and I could care less what anyone appraises it's value at - to me it is priceless. I consider Gunter's work to be priceless too. The most important thing in my mind is that we keep these cars on the street and out of the jaws of the car crushers.

PV-ALPINA

Reaction score
I am not questioning the work he is doing with the car, great effort and great skill is required and he seems to have it.

No, I am not assuming anyone creating value, I just consider the facts.

Yes, the car had little value when he started (about what you can get from the ID paper and the piece of metal bearing the VIN number I guess). Another question then arises, how much of the car is left, but that is another topic.

Regarding the other improvements you are mentioning, they can easily be converted back to original within a very short time. Paint is the most difficult besides other body modifications, such as wider fenders etc.

To be more precise on your engine question, if the correct engine with correct engine number is missing, then the value is lower than one with the correct engine. 5 speed was an option as I can recall, should be possible to trace with the vin number. If not, you may change it within a day to the original. Seats can be changed very quickly, if not the support has been modified. Of course these improvements will make it more fun to use the car, no doubt about that, and they can all be easily converted back.

I have done all of the improvements you are mentioning + some more on my E9, except the colour change, I bought the correct colour from the beginning...

/Johan

jonathan49bat

Reaction score
colour

JJ

Just to clarify my point on the colour, I'm assuming the colour would be a BMW one from the period.

Such a decision would be a personal choice to the person buying the car and this could vary either way!

Knowing that 'the' car was not a rust box could be a far more important a buying decision than whether the colour was correct to VIn. The car having been renovated anyway! The day will approach when it will be difficult to find a good car -

Jonathan

Reaction score
I also agree with JJ's argument. And JJ, a super rare color available on '02's (and maybe E9's) was "Florida" green. A little more pale than Kermit, but still would be perhaps the only CSL on the planet in this color.

Jonathan

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
color?

First of all, WOW. What great work. On the colour, wont really matter; I think it depends on how fast he will drive. Fast driver: subtle colour. Moderate driver: Hot colour. I'm sure it will be fantastic with whatever colour. Nice work, guys. Dave V. in North Carolina

DJSimca

Reaction score
Orangener said:
Here´s a little question, i want to see what´s the opinion of the most of you.
The original colour of this CSL was fjord-blau.
To repaint it in this colour goes of Günter against the grain , he want some tawdry colour, like inka or golf.
What colour would you choose? Or do you say, it have to be fjord, cause thats original?

Since you ask ... repaint the car in Fjord ... E9s looks GREAT in that colour 8)

Oh, did I mention that mine is Fjord Metallic :D

Orangener

Reaction score
Re: csl project

jonathan49bat said:
I'm interested to know how this project is coming along - could we have a further update and pictures?

Günter is on holidays, i will ask him for new pictures when he comes home in two weeks..........

ducks

Reaction score
Are you kidding

If the numbers indicate Fjord then there's really no choice as far as values concerned.Since these are so rare, anyone that would have interest in it if you ever sell it will take a heavy markdown if not in original color.

tmason

Reaction score
Hi
I was wondering if you have any photos of the frame under the ORC near the rear wheels.I removered my ORC and discovered some rust so I punched some holes in the sheet metal the size of a beer can and noticed some rusting away of sheet metal.So I cut some metal to fit and getting ready to weld in these before welding new sheet metal over the holes.I'm doing this just to reinforce these spots. Thanks for any help, Tim

blumax

(deceased)
Reaction score
Tawdry color--Golf--is a real attention getter

But must say--the BLUMAX is Atlantik Blau and I've enjoyed and never tired of that so called conservative--now for 37 years--and every time its displayed at Cars 'n Coffee here in SoCal there are car guys who are very attracted to the color. I believe a dark color such as Atlantik (but not black) actually displays tha shape of the E-9 in its best light and at the same time provides an excellent backdrop for all the "brightwork" on these cars.

MY belief has been confirmed in recent times by at least two prominent automotive designers who has each spent several years in Europe--one with Opel and the other with Porsche--each having independently offered that opinion or observation in recent years.

Maybe not tawdry--like Golf--but it really wears well with time.

Orangener

Reaction score
Picture-Update :

All new pics you find with this link : http://s984.photobucket.com/albums/ae321/GruberAndreas/Guenters fjord CSL/?start=all

The old pictures you can see at the beginning of this thread !

Ansichtfront1.jpg

Ansichtseitelinks.jpg

FlyWulf

Reaction score
Once upon a time

I was once told that anything is restorable and it looks like this group is going to prove it.

I wish you nothing but success!

Cheers,

Ed

coupe2800cs

Reaction score
Preservation

Someone once said " a new car takes 12 times the energy, and expense today to produce, vs. a car built 25 years ago ", never mind a better than factory built car....!

Last edited: