My dad's 2800cs

charofire

Reaction score
6 years ago I bought a 2800cs coupe for my dad. It was in Santa Cruz, and it had been stripped at one point but painted with crap paint. My dad always wanted a coupe - he looked at buying one when he finished medical school in the 70's - so I felt it would be fun to buy him a body and start a project together. The goal is an s38 swap + r&p steering. We're pulling the s38 out of a '93 m5 that we picked up a couple years back.
2q84xog.jpg

21bj32t.jpg

5cgbx4.jpg

2a62udf.jpg

2ikwn5l.jpg

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
have you already any idea how to do the r&p steering ??

PS if it's not for pure racing , i would stay with a good 3.5l M30....

charofire

Reaction score
Yes on the R&P and yes on the s38 as that's the motor he loves. I'll be posting more pics as I'm able.

pat cooks

Reaction score
are you sticking with the stock engine loom and ECU, I think I would, you just need to sort out the EWS........................ nice colour,

personally I used to do the main work on an engine swop with the exterior in primer or with a slave coat of straight colour, saves repainting the front end after the job is done,

charofire

Reaction score
I like the color as well. I"ll need to be very careful. Wiring won't be that bad.

teahead

aka "Rob"
Site Donor $
Reaction score
That's nice.

However...have you fitted the S38 already? Have you fitted the R&P already?

Hate to have to cut/weld on a nicely-finished body.

charofire

Reaction score
Teahead, I'm going to chop the hell out of that engine bay. There will be skid marks when I mush the s38 in ;)

Belgiumbarry

Reaction score
i wish you alot of good fortune charofire… either you did alot of research or don't know what to be dealed with… hope to see the progress !

charofire

Reaction score
Long, overdue update. I couldn't pull apart the 1993 m5 as I had hoped. It seemed like a waste of a car. So I purchased an s54, knowing it would be a lot more work to build a custom k member and rack and pinion. Terry Conners has continued to be very helpful as he always pushes me to do things the right way. We're using Ground Control for the front coil overs and the control arms are custom. I've also benefited from the other board members who have completed s54 swaps.
S54 swap.jpg

Last edited:

charofire

Reaction score
Front k member, suspension, engine, and ZF tranny are all in. The coupe is sitting nicely. Rear subframe now needs to be done.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.32.11 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.32.11 AM.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 104