My Dexter Brown 3.3Li and Christians New Horizon at The Petersen in LA

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
My Dexter Brown 3.3Li is in a three car Art exhibition with Christians New Horizon at the Petersen in LA, just opened and will be there until the end of July.

This is probably the first time I have really been able to see clearly what Dexter Brown was saying with the painting on the car. In this setting you can really see the blur of speed created in the reflective scenery as the car speeds past.

Or maybe its just me :)

1678812753039.jpeg
1678812915131.jpeg
1678812935139.jpeg
1678812988926.jpeg
1678813005515.jpeg

Last edited:

Christoph

Reaction score
Never seen the Dexter Brown in the flesh but always admired it, still do.

Agree with @vince : the E3 may look totally different depending on year and model. The difference even shines through the artworks. Here we have a 2500 Series 1, 1969, wheelcaps, there a 3.3 Li Series 3 LWB, 1975, 16" alloy, timeless 60s elegance vs. timeless 70s elegance. All three are fantastic, I should not forget the M1, as cars and as sculptures, as well. Thank you so much, @BMW Pete , for making this exhibition possible.

vince

Site Donor
Reaction score

E3-3.0Si

Reaction score
First registered in the UK in March 1996, last V5C issued in November 2011. Thanks a lot, @E3-3.0Si , for telling me where to look.
My pleasure! It was sold by Graeme Hunt, who is a top-end classic car dealer in London:

sfdon

Site Donor
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Remarkable how “sided” the paint scheme is with reds more evident on the passenger side. I really like the drivers side for its calmer more focused presentation of speed. And you are showing the opposite of Tacoma. Pete- do you have a favorite side?
Clearly a great example of the artists work.
What a wonderful art car and done on such a classic BMW!

BMW Pete

Site Donor
Reaction score
Remarkable how “sided” the paint scheme is with reds more evident on the passenger side. I really like the drivers side for its calmer more focused presentation of speed. And you are showing the opposite of Tacoma. Pete- do you have a favorite side?
Clearly a great example of the artists work.
What a wonderful art car and done on such a classic BMW!
Don
Thank you

I have never really thought about which side I prefer, interesting? Now you have made me wonder.

I just spent a little while looking and I tend to agree with you, the speed is more easily digested on the drivers side. Although, while the drivers side reminds me of passing buildings in some major downtown at speed - the passenger side has more of a feel of passing natural surroundings. Now of course I will have to get to Dexter Brown and ask the question.

I was recently offered the prep drawings done by Dexter for the car, guy (not Dexter) asked me 25k English pounds , I said, well you can guess what I said :) basically I have the car and the only person who will see any (if any) value in the prep drawings is the owner of the car, so good luck selling them somewhere else.

Glad you like it, makes a couple of us at least

1682215194199.jpeg

1682215221785.jpeg

1682215246058.jpeg

rsporsche

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Pete ... i LOVE it. it looks so great. also great to see it with the other e3 and the ///M1. to me, seeing the car with a lot of 'space' around it really helps you to really see the art. you try to find the best examples of each car you collect - finest e3 on the planet - check, job well done.

adawil2002

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Have we any idea of how many 3.3 Li e3s exists in the States ?
I know of 3.
Peter Gleeson's Art Car
Dirk de Groen owns a Taiga he bought from Luis Arisso he bought from Rey Rivera.
Larry Walker sold his Nachtblau to Mike Berger who sold it in 2019 to a collector near San Diego the last I knew.

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I know of 3.
Peter Gleeson's Art Car
Dirk de Groen owns a Taiga he bought from Luis Arisso he bought from Rey Rivera.
Larry Walker sold his Nachtblau to Mike Berger who sold it in 2019 to a collector near San Diego the last I knew.
Dirk’s car is an Si not an Li.

charlotte30cs

Reaction score
Hey everybody- I own the anthracite/black 3.3li that was at the vintage.
I’ve always gotten great ideas from this site. For my long lost CS and now with the E3, this forum has been a ‘go to’ for me to get solid information. ThanksIMG_4053.jpegIMG_4054.jpeg