My First BMW project !! '72 3.0cs

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
Hi,
Just picked up a 1972 BMW 3.0 CS

It was a failed father/son project, partially disassembled, dusty and dirty. Allegedly ran before they torn it apart and pulled the motor. Let the party begin !!!

After examining the car, tearing the motor apart, I am convinced that the 83K mikes on the odometer is actual. There was some salvageable service records I saved showed is was well cared for up til '92, the taken off the road in '94. Why??? I suspect that the new owner could not find a mechanic and that those old zenith carbs were giving them fits....so they just parked it.

I am doing a total restoration.

I look forward to posting progress and photos for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks,
David

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
20170719_131639.jpg

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
This is the project car from Denver right? Fair price on the car, especially if it included that dolly!

You should post some additional pics. The fenders are pretty rusty right?

Nice garage!!!

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
What were your prior projects? I had worked on Alfas and other European cars prior to getting into BMW's, and found that there was a lot of commonality.
Well....I just finished a 1960 Jaguar XK150 Rally Car, a 1959 Mercedes 190SL, before that I saved a Ferrari 512BBI, fixed Lamborghini Diablo, lots of Hot Rods. The BMW is kind of exciting me, nice cars, good info, and seems like parts are available.

AristonSpeedShop

Reaction score
This is the project car from Denver right? Fair price on the car, especially if it included that dolly!

You should post some additional pics. The fenders are pretty rusty right?

Nice garage!!!
Yea it was the car listed on craigslist in Denver, south down in Franktown. Talked the seller down to $2,000 and threw in the dolly. It was in much nicer shape than the pictures showed. Looked like some serious rust on rockers, but it was just the outer rockers, little in the top of the fenders, nothing I can't fix pretty easy. I am old pro at fixing rust and saving cars. Have to replace the spare tire well, parts on the way. Body is real straight.

The garage is my new shop addition, the longer term project wing, as in it might take me a while to finish the addition!!!

Markos

Site Donor
Reaction score
Looked like some serious rust on rockers, but it was just the outer rockers, little in the top of the fenders, nothing I can't fix pretty easy. I am old pro at fixing rust and saving cars. Have to replace the spare tire well, parts on the way. Body is real straight.

The world needs more folks like you saving these cars.

jmackro

Reaction score
Well....I just finished a 1960 Jaguar XK150 Rally Car, a 1959 Mercedes 190SL, before that I saved a Ferrari 512BBI, fixed Lamborghini Diablo, lots of Hot Rods. The BMW is kind of exciting me, nice cars, good info, and seems like parts are available.

Hmm, I suppose the 190SL will be the closest to the e9 in construction (unibody) and components (ATE, Bosch). I had a 190SL at around the same time I was playing with 2002's.

Yes, parts and information are available for these cars - they have been prized as collector cars pretty much as long as they have been in existence; e9's never fell into a period in which they were unloved.