My Fuel Gauge has tourettes...

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, my temp gauge does the same thing...

...although it seems to occur more at idle and always settles back to the 4 o'clock or so position afterwards. Sounds like bad grounding is the cause as I look at the above posts. Right now, it's in the class of cute, endearing mechanical challenges my car has and I don't think much about it. I will fix it, though, one of these days and -- while I'm at it with the IP removed -- take care of that noisy clock, do a general dust removal and clean the inside of the gauge glass. Cheers

E9Wayne

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Yep, my temp gauge does the same thing...

...although it seems to occur more at idle and always settles back to the 4 o'clock or so position afterwards. Sounds like bad grounding is the cause as I look at the above posts. Right now, it's in the class of cute, endearing mechanical challenges my car has and I don't think much about it. I will fix it, though, one of these days and -- while I'm at it with the IP removed -- take care of that noisy clock, do a general dust removal and clean the inside of the gauge glass. Cheers

jhjacobs

Reaction score
with the IP removed -- take care of that noisy clock, do a general dust removal and clean the inside of the gauge glass
Be forewarned, The original clock will always be noise unless you do an upgrade because it uses a solenoid to do the rewind every 5-7 minutes. Also, cleaning the inside of the glass goes beyond what I've been willing to attempt - it seems that some type of special one-time crimp tool was used to put them on.

my temp. gauge will decide to bounce a bit and then stay centered
This is a most likely a short or an open on the wire to the sender. The wire from the sender to the firewall suffers the most abuse and it may simply be that the connector is old and loose (you can pop it off and give it a light squeeze with plyers to close up the contacts if it feels loose). The possibilities are a dying sender unit or the power to the temp gauge.

jhjacobs

Reaction score
with the IP removed -- take care of that noisy clock, do a general dust removal and clean the inside of the gauge glass
Be forewarned, The original clock will always be noise unless you do an upgrade because it uses a solenoid to do the rewind every 5-7 minutes. Also, cleaning the inside of the glass goes beyond what I've been willing to attempt - it seems that some type of special one-time crimp tool was used to put them on.

my temp. gauge will decide to bounce a bit and then stay centered
This is a most likely a short or an open on the wire to the sender. The wire from the sender to the firewall suffers the most abuse and it may simply be that the connector is old and loose (you can pop it off and give it a light squeeze with plyers to close up the contacts if it feels loose). The possibilities are a dying sender unit or the power to the temp gauge.

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
She's Cured!!! :D

I finally had time today to open the garage and start fiddling with my Coupe. I decided to take the easiest route and made a new ground wire. When I turned the ignition on, the gauge came to life and went straight to full! I drove for about 2 miles and there was not even one flicker. I did fill the tank up last time I drove; so lets hope the gauge goes down as I eat up the road.

Guys, thank you soooooo much for ALL the good advise! I have been taking on projects one at a time and hadn't expected to deal with this one; so it definitely was a bummer. Thanks for your support.

Mike

OCCoupe

Site Donor
Reaction score
She's Cured!!! :D

I finally had time today to open the garage and start fiddling with my Coupe. I decided to take the easiest route and made a new ground wire. When I turned the ignition on, the gauge came to life and went straight to full! I drove for about 2 miles and there was not even one flicker. I did fill the tank up last time I drove; so lets hope the gauge goes down as I eat up the road.

Guys, thank you soooooo much for ALL the good advise! I have been taking on projects one at a time and hadn't expected to deal with this one; so it definitely was a bummer. Thanks for your support.

Mike

pmansson

Reaction score
Empty tank warning light at too low fuel level

One of my cars doesn´t light the white T lamp until there is very very little fuel left.
Otherwise the instrument is fine, (or is it this car which will not show absolutely full tank even with 72 L in the tank? Can´t remember and the car is not with me at the moment).

What is the procedure to sort this out?
New sender perhaps?
Grounding is probably not the issue as the gauge is very stable.

tochi

Reaction score
One of my cars doesn´t light the white T lamp until there is very very little fuel left.
Otherwise the instrument is fine, (or is it this car which will not show absolutely full tank even with 72 L in the tank? Can´t remember and the car is not with me at the moment).

What is the procedure to sort this out?
New sender perhaps?
Grounding is probably not the issue as the gauge is very stable.

It could be the bulb in your dash or:

http://www.e9coupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1390