My Modified 1989 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe 25th Anniversary - LIVE on BaT

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hello fellow car enthusiasts,

I just had my Porsche go live today on BaT. I know a lot of you own Porsche's and other collectable cars as well and are just car enthusiasts in general so I thought I would throw this on the board. If you or anyone you know might be interested in a great Porsche, let me know or direct them to the auction.

Only 300 of the 911 25th Silver Anniversary Carrera Coupes were produced for 1989 model year (240 in Silver Metallic like mine). There were 200 cabriolets built for a total of only 500 examples. These limited edition Porsches were built to celebrate the end of the G-body cars as well as the 25th Anniversary of the 911 (1964-1989).

Any constructive comments welcome of course on BaT. Here is the link:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-porsche-911-carrera-25th-anniversary/

nice toy
question for you,
where you got this glass grill with the circles in the deck lid {cover engine) Image# 77
thanks

Attachments

• GLASS.jpg
    GLASS.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 56
I have a good friend in Bend who has sold a few cars via 911r on BaT. He has been happy.... And with the $$ he expected vs what he got - I would be too. My friend in a Porsche nut - and the reason I also have a 997 in the garage.... Awesome car btw....

I have a good friend in Bend who has sold a few cars via 911r on BaT. He has been happy.... And with the $$ he expected vs what he got - I would be too. My friend in a Porsche nut - and the reason I also have a 997 in the garage.... Awesome car btw....

@HB Chris you and I were just talking about bend. ;)

I was thinking of getting a 996 - great price these days. Other than making sure you change the IMS bearing in the bad years do you have any thoughts?

I was thinking of getting a 996 - great price these days. Other than making sure you change the IMS bearing in the bad years do you have any thoughts?
I think the IMS on the early water cooled engines is kind of like the nikasil problem on the BMW motors of the late 90's. Past a certain point - the issue kind of looses its affect. I have 145k on my 997. It is an early car (2006) so it's not immune to the issue (it has the intermediate 'fix' - not the final solution that Porsche came out with). What I have heard from the folks that follow this - the more lightly driven the car - the more likely the issue is to come up. If you were to get a 996 that has some decent miles and has been maintained - it is much less likely to be an issue than a babied car that has never been exercised regardless of maintenance. Between my E38 (late 2001) and the 997 - those are my two main cars. My E38 has 235k on it BTW,,, :)

Last edited:
Beautiful car! :love: Good luck with the auction (although I don't think you'll need any luck)

What's left in the fleet?
Dick, I have a 2010 BMW 535xi M-Sport Touring (E61) that I absolutely love for Idaho. It has the X-Drive and I swap Nokian Hakkapalitta Swedish Ice tires in the Winter and run Nitto's Sping/Summer/Early Fall. Twin Turbo, it gets up and goes for the weight but I like it because my wife drives it as well and I feel comfortable with her in it in the Winter. The N54 motor is awesome (302HP and 295 ft-lb torque). I have been told if you go to a bigger SINGLE turbo and change out the injectors you can get 650HP. I have not totally researched that so take that with a grain of salt but if I didn't share it with the wife I would probably do that (not cheap to do). The M-Sport is pretty rare in itself but the ultimate is a 6-speed three pedal M-Sport which I've only seen one up for sale and RNM at auction. They are becoming harder and harder to find due to not importing them anymore and I have last year made 2010. I like the auto anyways for this particular car, especially for the wife.

I have a candy apple red, stock 1975 Ford F-250 4x4 "Highboy" for hunting and fishing out here and if we get a major winter. It's a brute, original Bigfoot, but I left stock w/ white steelies. I swap Hakkapalitta's on it in Winter as well I love it. Fits in Idaho perfect. It's been dented by bull horns and kicked by horses (literally) and I obviously don't worry about that thing, that's why I like it. You could take a baseball bat to it and it would break the bat.

I drive a 6 seater Yanmar Longhorn Side x Side on the streets here year round and use for plowing driveway in the winter, I absolutely love it. Super fun. Legal here in ID to drive anywhere but freeway.

Then my 2012 VW Jetta TDI. Best diesel motor VW ever built. The one that got them in trouble. Even de-tuned it rips and great gas milage, that is my daily.

I'll probably be looking for a E30 325xi, 2-door, fairly low miles for next project but I'm in no hurry, going to take my time looking for the right one.

Last edited:
nice toy
question for you,
where you got this glass grill with the circles in the deck lid {cover engine) Image# 77
thanks
I'm not sure but I have seen similar Lexan pieces on other Porsches over the ducktail lid (well only one). I made the Lexan piece that slips in where the stereo was behind the mesh grill on the interior to match the look. Kind of an opposite look of the ducktail feature. I couldn't believe it, first cut and it fit perfect.

If I had to guess, I'm pretty sure the PO (Allan) had his made custom and the reason for the slight bend to form is because it is Lexan and screwed in. Not hard to do for people that know Lexan and should be very cheap to do. I don't think they would have had to heat it up any as it is a pretty mild bend.

It sounds like lip277 would be better to have a conversation with regarding a 996. I am BY NO MEANS a Porsche expert. As a matter of fact I am a bit of a fish out of water. I am way more of a BMW guy, have owned them before I could drive at 15 years old. All I know is I love Porsches too and I am a bit of an air-cooled guy so........yeah, I don't feel comfortable giving any advice on a 996 although they seem like they can be a good buy if most of the known issues on them have been addressed and you drive them like any Porsche or BMW should be driven, "spirited" is the word I think is used a lot.

I agree with lip277, they both don't like to be babied and I know mine is a proven targa/rally Porsche, it has been on a few, including Mexico targa and the PO drives them hard, white knuckle driving but at the same time, really keeps up on the maintenance. And the motor still pulls very strong and I have heard of people getting well over 300K miles on these motors. My motor still has great compression and the G-50's are known for being bullet-proof and usually have many more miles left in them than people think. I think they rebuild them way too early thinking they are more like the older Porsche motors for instance. But even those are pretty bullet-proof. I hardly see any air-cooled Porsches on Targas break down or overheat. As we all know, they are known as air-cooled, but are really oil-cooled (about 12 quarts) with a big fan blowing on the motor.

Anyhow, let us know if you pull the trigger and what your thoughts are after driving it for a while.

I bought a cheap 986 (Boxster) that had been somewhat neglected so I changed the IMS bearing just to be safe. The car had just over 100K so it seemed unlikely to suffer from the failure and indeed the installed bearing seemed to be in perfect shape. I believe these early ones had less of an issue although it still happened. I had to pull the trans out anyway since the front seal was leaking and the bushings were shot. After some research, I chose a roller bearing to better bear the load. No issues.

Back