MY Mother, My Hero

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I hope that all of my few members take a few moments and read this message ad learn from it.
My dearest Mother at the young age of 96 passed peacefully last Tuesday. She was an incredible women who was loved not only by her relatives but also by her hundreds of customers and friends. My Father passed over 53 years ago at an early age of 46 and my Mother was left with the task of bringing up two children with a very modest income and a empty bank account because of the issues and meds needed to keep my Father alive with for 7 years with the terrible disease of Cancer. She faithfully traveled Boston, a 50 mile ride every evening, after working a full 9 hours, without missing a day in good weather and bad weather. After his death my Mother worked as a supervisor in a millinary factory for nearly 20 years without taking time off for any reason. After the factory closed my Mother,who was a seamstress by trade, opened up her own alteration shop where she met hundreds of customers who actually became her friends. She loved doing things for customers without charging them. She would make it for local churches in our small community and sew on patches on jackets for all the athletes in the local high schools. When would ask why she did not charge them her answer was "they don't have any money and it only took me 15 or 20 minuites.". After my sister got married she moved into a senior complex where she for the next 15 years was the leader,and also the oldest,of the pack. Driving until age 96 she loved taking the residents to Doctor appointments and also pick up scrips when resists were ill. When I asked her why she had to be the one who did everything, her answer was " Harry, their old ". She would wake every morning and bake Armenia specialties and deliver some to all 22 apartment in the complex. She always baked enough to take to local businesses in the small downtown main street. She was truly a giver and always thought nothing of giving something to someone who was a stranger. She lived a complete life,working untl she was 92 and driving until she was 94 and she died peacefully in the early morning without suffering. She took no eds and sent one evening in the hospital in all her 96years. Who could ask for more? She was known and loved by many and guests at her wake numbered over 350.
Last Tuesday morning as was shaving, I paused as looked in the mirror and I thought to myself ,I am not a good son. I should visit my Mother more often, she only lives 8 miles away. I had this guilty feeling come over me. I had mentioned to my wife on Sunday that we owe me Mother a visit and Monday evening I realized I had forgotten to visit her. As I was washing off my wife got a phone call and screamed. My Mother had passed away. I was in shock because she had not been sick so why did she die! I guess she was called by someone who had saved her a front seat in heavan.
The reason I shared this with you is so you realize what should be important to all of us and list our priorities accordingly.
I recently had a meet with the priest of the small Amenian church nd asked if I could help in anyway.
I had been involved in many fund raisers and was successful in getting funds needed. He asked if I would help him in finding funds for buying a 15 passenger van and exporting it to an orphanage in Armenia. I told him that it would be my pleasure in honor of my Mother. Now this will be at the top of my priority list.
Thanks for taking the time to read and learn from it.
Harry Malkasian

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I hope that all of my few members take a few moments and read this message ad learn from it.
My dearest Mother at the young age of 96 passed peacefully last Tuesday. She was an incredible women who was loved not only by her relatives but also by her hundreds of customers and friends. My Father passed over 53 years ago at an early age of 46 and my Mother was left with the task of bringing up two children with a very modest income and a empty bank account because of the issues and meds needed to keep my Father alive with for 7 years with the terrible disease of Cancer. She faithfully traveled Boston, a 50 mile ride every evening, after working a full 9 hours, without missing a day in good weather and bad weather. After his death my Mother worked as a supervisor in a millinary factory for nearly 20 years without taking time off for any reason. After the factory closed my Mother,who was a seamstress by trade, opened up her own alteration shop where she met hundreds of customers who actually became her friends. She loved doing things for customers without charging them. She would make it for local churches in our small community and sew on patches on jackets for all the athletes in the local high schools. When would ask why she did not charge them her answer was "they don't have any money and it only took me 15 or 20 minuites.". After my sister got married she moved into a senior complex where she for the next 15 years was the leader,and also the oldest,of the pack. Driving until age 96 she loved taking the residents to Doctor appointments and also pick up scrips when resists were ill. When I asked her why she had to be the one who did everything, her answer was " Harry, their old ". She would wake every morning and bake Armenia specialties and deliver some to all 22 apartment in the complex. She always baked enough to take to local businesses in the small downtown main street. She was truly a giver and always thought nothing of giving something to someone who was a stranger. She lived a complete life,working untl she was 92 and driving until she was 94 and she died peacefully in the early morning without suffering. She took no eds and sent one evening in the hospital in all her 96years. Who could ask for more? She was known and loved by many and guests at her wake numbered over 350.
Last Tuesday morning as was shaving, I paused as looked in the mirror and I thought to myself ,I am not a good son. I should visit my Mother more often, she only lives 8 miles away. I had this guilty feeling come over me. I had mentioned to my wife on Sunday that we owe me Mother a visit and Monday evening I realized I had forgotten to visit her. As I was washing off my wife got a phone call and screamed. My Mother had passed away. I was in shock because she had not been sick so why did she die! I guess she was called by someone who had saved her a front seat in heavan.
The reason I shared this with you is so you realize what should be important to all of us and list our priorities accordingly.
I recently had a meet with the priest of the small Amenian church nd asked if I could help in anyway.
I had been involved in many fund raisers and was successful in getting funds needed. He asked if I would help him in finding funds for buying a 15 passenger van and exporting it to an orphanage in Armenia. I told him that it would be my pleasure in honor of my Mother. Now this will be at the top of my priority list.
Thanks for taking the time to read and learn from it.
Harry Malkasian
Harry, what a wonderful mother, a truly giving person expecting nothing in return. In this day, perhaps, sadly, most days, she was a rare bird. You were so fortunate, so fortunate, to have her with you for all those many years, and she you.

Let me know how I can make a donation towards the nine-passenger van. It will do so much good where it is so needed.

Steve ONeill [email protected]

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Hi Steve. That is so very generous and thoughtfiul. It is going to be a 15 pass. And the cost of shipping ads so much.
You can make a check out to Derhayr Aram Stephanian and mail it to me.
HARRY MALKASIAN
44 MOON HILL RD.
NORTHBRIDGE, MA 01534
THANKS AGAIN.
HARRY

Nicad

Site Donor
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Harry. Sounds like you were blessed to be raised by such a strong woman.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sounds like a great idea. I will bring it up when I meet this Friday.
Thanks for The Help

Peter Coomaraswamy

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Harry, obviously her knack for giving did pass along to her son. Don't worry about not seeing her before she died, she didn't raise you to hang around her but to go out in the world on your own and honor her that way. So many of us on the forum have great parents it's always wonderful to hear stories of people who give instead of take- their lives are always so much better- and more fun! Truly God has a place for her in Heaven.

I also would be very happy to make a donation to the bus fund- sounds like something that is needed for those kids.

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Hi Harry, obviously her knack for giving did pass along to her son. Don't worry about not seeing her before she died, she didn't raise you to hang around her but to go out in the world on your own and honor her that way. So many of us on the forum have great parents it's always wonderful to hear stories of people who give instead of take- their lives are always so much better- and more fun! Truly God has a place for her in Heaven.

I also would be very happy to make a donation to the bus fund- sounds like something that is needed for those kids.
Right Peter. It has been proven, True News, that giving always makes the giver feel better. Since we are car guys, here's an example. It can as simple as letting someone into your line of traffic in front of you.

Gary Knox

E9 Member Emeritus
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Wait for Brexit!! - exporting it to the EU from the UK after departure might also save VAT! The Pound Sterling is pretty soft right now, but might get even softer.

But - be sure it has the steering wheel on the Armenian side of the car - ha.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Us Armenians are so smart we can drive from either side. Ha ha.

Last edited:

autokunst

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked as a sound engineer (and occasionally an LD) for a production company owned and run by an Armenian guy named Siamanto - but he simply went by "C". Great guy, I learned a lot and had a great experience there primarily doing festivals and concert sound. I think he could drive from either side of the car, too. :D

CSteve

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Many years ago I worked as a sound engineer (and occasionally an LD) for a production company owned and run by an Armenian guy named Siamanto - but he simply went by "C". Great guy, I learned a lot and had a great experience there primarily doing festivals and concert sound. I think he could drive from either side of the car, too. :D
Like the people delivering rural mail in private cars with LHD. Scary. Post Office trucks have RHD of course.

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
There is a change. Anyone who would like to make a donation please make check out to: The Voice Of The Armenia Church.
It is for a wonderful cause in memory of my Mother. The funds would be used in purchasing a 15 passenger van for an orphanage in Armenia, the country of my Heritage.
FYI, anyone who knows someone ,a friend, an associate, a neighbor a fellow worker, or even a stranger whose last name ends in " ian " is of Armenia Heritage. The " ian "means "son of ".
Thank You So Very Much.
Harry Malkasian

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
I have received a few donations from Forum members. This is very heart warming to think that these are people that I have never met.
Thank You Again.
Harry

Koopman

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Just purchased a 2016 repairable Ford E350 15 passenger van and waiting to transport. Donations are slowly coming in and greatly appreciated.
Thanks to all member who donated.
Harry