My new CS...finally...photos

ccr2002

Site Donor $
Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Well i finally have bought a CS....yrs of looking and i really love it. i always wanted a polaris silver, but just bought 23K mile '73 2002tii in polaris/blue...and i'm set on getting a CSL...probably silver also...so i went for this Ceylon '73 CS. Owner was supposedly a BMW mechanic who ordered it new...never installed a radio and then babied it for yrs until he had an untimely death. It was willed to his daughter and was periodically started....cared for by his buddies but o/w untouched for years. 19K orig miles and never repainted or anything. rubber bands and plastic still on the seatbelts in back.

i've been trying to get it for 6 mos and we finally settled on a price...daughter parted with it b/c she was moving to Alaska and had a child...

VIN # 2240405
now just to get it shipped to Utah.

i know there could be problems....but i've got 50 other non digital pics that look incredible in all the right areas.

hopefully the next couple of months won't reveal any demons.
any leads on a CSL?
ccr
IMG_0713.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Wow..............this is REALLY cool. One of the neatest stories I've seen on the board in a long time. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we'd love to see the photos of the rest of the car. Details and close ups of original, non-restored CSs would be really cool. Frankly it's not something I've ever seen.

Congratulations on your new toy, I look forward to hearing more about her progress in the months to come.

Sincerely,

Outstanding, good for you, love to hear stories like yours. Please show pics when you can, great color

Congratulations! It looks absolutely beautiful. Please post pics that the board can access so we can enjoy as well.

Keep us updated when you finally crank it over.

Shawn

That's a wonderful find!!! Congratulations..... Please post photos, as I'm sure many of us would like to see them.

Enjoy the car.

Ceylon CS

Outstanding - great story - great car - neat color combo.
Will undoubtedly do better in Utah than Alaska (although they probably
don't use salt in Alaska!)

It arrived today...just as the snow falls

Ironically, my new CS arrived today just as the first snow fell in salt lake city. it was delivered to the ferrari dealer, along with a 612 scag for a customer, and everyone was appropriately interested more in my car.

Steve Harris, the ferrari dealer here, originally was part owner of European Automotive, which had the Utah distributorship for BMWs. He happened to be in and loved seeing the coupe.

Everyone was amazed at what a time capsule it is. The interior is like new...the seat belts have proabaly never been buckled. It's really nice.

Of course the chrome has some haze and spotting...i don't think any true pitting but we'll see once i try and polish it up some.

When the car was started to drive out of the truck...more smoke came out the driver rear wheel well than the exhaust tip...and a quick inspection revealed to obvious rust hole in the exhaust...the first of many problems i'm sure. no one could find any other rust areas though.

the blinkers don't work and the front side markers don't light...i'll get these sorted out next week by the bmw tech who is still around from the 70s...he's excited to see it...he just went through my 73 tii over the last few weeks and it seemed like a good diversion for him from the new stuff.

anyway...i'll post some pics ASAP ...once the snow stops and i can bring it home....probably not to see many miles until next year.

photos

Here are a few pics of 2240405

i haven't even washed her yet...but have polished the chrome, had a major service done and fixed the clock (still slow...) and now need to replace the brake lines (leak).

I found some alpinas from a local forum friend...and have had the original wheels refinished...now looking for original size tires (old ones have flat spot) and changed out the gear shift knob b/c original wood one's top came off (it looks like the wood one in the 73 brochure).
IMGP0565.jpg

IMGP0560-1.jpg

IMGP0562.jpg

IMGP0563.jpg

IMGP0566.jpg

IMGP0567.jpg

IMGP0572.jpg

IMGP0573.jpg

Sweet ,
A quick tip though , take the tools out of the tray and put them in a roll up bag. Put them back in for shows etc. You have a rare unbroken tool tray and thats the only way to keep it that way.
Drive her and enjoy

PJ

Virgin CS--very rare to see 33 or 34 years later

Your treasure reminds me of one that used to live in and around Newport Beach many years ago--its license plate was "24KARAT" but have no idea where it went. I believe that would be a great plate for your gold nugget!!

It's interesting to hear comments from several members of the board as to their surprise at seeing a Coupe that is still original--one that has seemingly survived without molestation or visible change--BTW--where is the chromed plastic wing nut for the tool box? (;>)

Tools in the tray--OK with the BLUMAX

But first you must make a slight modification to correct the factories poor design--it's not visible--BTW there are several such design shortcomings in the original cars.

Long ago made the mod for BLUMAX and no problem running with tools in the box--no fractures or failures and no fear of same!!

tires

I called them and they no longer make the xwx...i was able to get some xas's for my tii.

the chromed winged nut was on the floor of the trunk when i took the picture...it comes out...should it not?

what is the modification to the trunk that was made for blumax?

anyway..thanks for the comments...i'm loving owning an unmolested cs. i just need to get the carburetors better tuned...the resting idle when first starting up is about 2500....

Any opinions whether is should swap out the under hood insulation with some new pieces i got from la jolla independent?

i'll post some more pics soon
ccr

Back