My post rocker repair paint project

Don’t count on it being an exact match. I found PPG codes on microfiche a dozen years ago and had a quart of Malaga mixed, it was way too brown. The materials have changed significantly since the 70s.

i researched ceylon gold a year ago. i thought i was safe to go with glasurit. my painter found that glasurit stated that their current formula was okay for a total repaint but would not match the original for touch up.

Yes, PPG and Glasurit have the color codes etc, but what goes into their paint is not what it once was and they each have their own interpretation. I used PPG Taiga to paint behind the front grills and inside doors but when the entire car got done, we used Glasurit which was off from the original and WAY off from the PPG.

This thread is relevant to my interests. I pulled about 1lb of rust out of my driver’s rear rocker yesterday. Not that I would use it but the rear jack point is dangling by a thread of rusty steel. I knew that outers were in the cards but this confirms that the center structure needs to get ordered also.

Would love to see some pics Mark...I had to even patch the inner rocker. Outer and middle were long gone.

487D90F0-08A1-4DB4-B1DC-4902631FF95A.jpeg

Would love to see some pics Mark...I had to even patch the inner rocker. Outer and middle were long gone.

I’ll definitely snap some pics as I progress. My driver’s rocker cover needs to come off. I need to drill out the screws this weekend. All of my rust was removed from a 3” x .2” rectangle that was exposed in my wheel well About 3” of the lower outer rocket seam is dissolved, up to that jack point. I jacked the car up on the subframe mount, which will also need some support.
43F7DE66-0862-45DA-B570-EDE13ECE9DCD.jpeg

8EBBFA85-C69F-4A4B-AA0E-C32470F9734D.jpeg

I also pulled a pound of sand from the front fender cavity!!!
D21E749E-B1CF-4BAE-AAC8-8F0F68B76C4B.jpeg

I found this video really helpful. I’m a visual learner and video is great for my needs.

Back