My V8 914 on BaT

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Wow! That car is amazing! I'm too 'ol skool to know what engine and transmission that is. I'd guess an LS. Trans?

I think the 914s are the ones that are most prone to be accepted with non Porsche power. I've seen 911 types with V8s but that doesn't work well even for me.

In the fall of 2019, the Puget Sound chapter of the PCA held its annual big show at Carillon Point in Kirkland and featured the 914. It was the 50th anniversary of its introduction. About 14 teeners showed up. My car was well received, even by the chapter President. A few months later I got a call from the lady that was heading up a new "Outlaw" display at the 2020 Porsche Parade in Palm Springs. She wanted my car there. The same rule applies to the Parade as to membership in the PCA. Porsche powered cars only. She had talked the powers that be into making an exception. I was flattered and accepted the invitation. I also felt that maybe breaking that barrier would open Porsche events to other non-purists with beautiful Porsches. A good thing for the hobby in general. I made arrangements to tow to Palm Springs....and then Covid :(

So, I'm not greedy but I hope that you are right and that there are at least 2 rich guys that "get it" at auction close. ;)

tferrer

Site Donor
Reaction score
Dick - yea, an LS and I'm not sure on the trans. I think someone said it was a ZF. The owner/builder is a bit of a mad scientist. He has an LS swapped Corvair as well!

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
My 914 left today for South Carolina. 80' of truck and trailer :oops: ...

IMG_6297.jpeg

IMG_6298.jpeg

IMG_6304.jpeg

Raining (of course :(). We dried it off once it was in the trailer.

dave v. in nc

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sad to see her go, in some ways, nice to have the moolah I'm sure.

About the hauler...I'd be curious about the 60-0 stopping time on that puppy...don't want to see that thing in the rearview mirror.

Dick Steinkamp

Site Donor $
Reaction score
Sad to see her go, in some ways, nice to have the moolah I'm sure.

About the hauler...I'd be curious about the 60-0 stopping time on that puppy...don't want to see that thing in the rearview mirror.
I'm sad to see them all go. I only do cars that turn my crank and generally ones I have lusted after for a long time. I have strong (and good) feelings about all of them. The hobby for me is the project, however, and that stops if I keep them. Not enough hobby money and not enough room for me to do that. Getting to own them in series is better than not getting to own them at all :) . I was pleased the auction went well. That is some confirmation that it was as special as I thought it was.

That car hauler is huge. I understand that some DOT regulations do not apply to car haulers for some reason (strong lobby?). However, it does have 18 wheels on the ground. The curtain vans can't weigh as much as regular van construction, and the 9 cars it can hold is maybe 30,000 pounds of freight. So maybe actually less weight total than most loaded semi trucks and the same amount of brakes? I still wouldn't want it behind me. :oops: