Mystery seats

corvair kid

Reaction score
I've been trying to solve the mystery of the front seats in my Bavaria, and I think I've cracked it...wondering if anyone can confirm. My front seats don't match the back bench. I'm pretty certain that the latter, with the horseshoe pattern on the seat cushion and the squared-off upper corners, is correct and original to the car. My current theory on the fronts is that they came out of a '69-71 2500, although I think the "cat-ear" headrests are correct for my car. (Which could explain why the non-embossed vinyl on the sides of the headrests feels different from the non-embossed vinyl on the seats, although sun exposure could also be the explanation.)

Does this theory check out? And, if at some point I wanted the front and rear seats to match, could these seats be re-covered in the correct style for a '73, or is the underlying structure too different?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

corvair kid

Reaction score
Here's the back seat for comparison

Note the squared-off "shoulders" and horseshoe pattern on the cushion.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

HB Chris

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
Cat ear style is definitely circa 73. I am surprised a Bavaria would have rear headrests, do others here have them as well? Someone will have an answer on rear seat style.

corvair kid

Reaction score
Chris,

Our Bav has rear headrest and as far as I know they are from day one with the car.

Can't find the price lists that were posted a while back, but the rear headrests were a ~$47 option. No idea what the true take rate was, but anecdotally it seems like something like 30-40% of Bavs (mostly model years '72-73) have them.

GolfBavaria

Site Donor $$
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you don't think is correct, they look 100% correct to me. I have a 1973 Bavaria and they look just like mine, rear headrests and all. I would snap some photos for you but the car is at La Jolla Independent in San Diego at the moment. But I'm sure another 73' member will chime in.

corvair kid

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you don't think is correct, they look 100% correct to me. I have a 1973 Bavaria and they look just like mine, rear headrests and all. I would snap some photos for you but the car is at La Jolla Independent in San Diego at the moment. But I'm sure another 73' member will chime in.

To be clear, my question is about the front seats, not the rear, which I do believe to be correct. Note that the patterns are different front and rear, specifically the embossed insert on the cushion and the treatment of the upper corners on the seatback. I'm hoping to find out if the fronts that I have could be reupholstered to match the rear, or if the construction of the earlier-style seats, in particular the more rounded shape of the seatbacks, is too different.

restart

Reaction score
Your fronts are different than my bav manufacture 12/72
My front seat tops are squArer, squarer, is that a word?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 150